July 1, 2007

From sushi to mountain road rescue

That about sums up my weekend, so needless to say, it didn't include any knitting, although my goal was to finish up the Frankenberry Tote. Oh well, guess I'm just gonna have to put my knitting into high gear and get this finished ASAP.




The fam got together on Saturday for my mom's birthday and she wanted to go eat sushi, so we went to a kaiten-sushi (which translates to 'revolving sushi'). For those of you who haven't experienced this, it's an odd dining experience I suppose. Sushi is placed onto plates that take a ride on a conveyor belt that goes around the restaurant and you just pick up the sushi as it revolves around you when you find something you want. Coloured plates indicate the price you pay and there's a chain of these cropping up around the Puget Sound area. My mom can eat some sushi and my brother-in-law isn't too far behind her heheh.









After having sushi, Bear and I went to go watch Ratatouille (which I really enjoyed btw), then took it easy for the rest of the evening. I did some laundry and Bear was just firing up the computer to go play soldier online when we got a phone call from Bear's uncle. Turns out he was stuck out on a forest road in a national park about 150 miles away where we go camping. He was having too much fun 4x4ing in his truck that he knocked his battery dead (this was a first for me). He had a place to stay overnight, but he really wanted to go home. So after the phone call Bear asks me if I wanted an "adventure" that evening and I get the details. I was on the fence initially, as I was already winding down and ready to tuck myself into bed, but figured what the hell. Seemed like Bear wanted to take his truck out for a little off-road adventure and I didn't want to spoil his fun, so I conceeded. So with a stop at Walmart which was the only store open to get a battery so late in the evening, off we went.

Bear's uncle is notorious for riding his 4x4 truck as you'd expect to see them on a tv commercial, gettin muddy and finding all the rough spots of a road just to make the ride bumpy and "fun". I've been a passenger on one of his 4x4 expeditions and I've never had my guts rattled around as much as I did that ride (note that "ride" is singular, as I haven't gone again since, heh). So, knowing the kinds of "roads" he likes to take, I was a little worried whether our truck could make it to the spot where his was stuck because we don't have a 4x4, but the little truck that could got up there alright, and hooked him up with a battery to go home (hah, take that 4x4s!). Actually the road wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, thank goodness. Last thing we needed was to get stuck ourselves. We left home in the light of a full moon reflecting over a lake.....








And returned back home hours later to a pinkish sunrise.







Let's just say it's been a long time since I came back home in the morning from anywhere, so it really threw my body clock out of loop and I stayed in bed all Sunday. So went my weekend. Hope all of you had a good one.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love spontaneous midnight adventures! Plus, judging from your beautiful pictures, it was so worth it. The one with the moon over the water and the moon path is just incredible. Though, I know what you mean about throwing your body clock off.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics!!

Carrie Penny said...

Sushi, always a good idea!

Midnight trips to the woods, not always a good idea down here, but always an adventure! I love the pictures that you caught! The moon one reminds me of a painting that I saw when I lived in Charleston! Very very pretty.

Cindy said...

What fun. Me loves a good adventure. I got the sock pattern and wanted to thank you so much. It looks like fun. Thanks again. Oh, and get some rest.