September 27, 2008

To Bee Inspired

Today my family is coming over for a belated birthday celebration for Bear and for us to finally give them some gifts from our Florida trip.

After all that went down yesterday, I wasn't in any mood to do much of anything, but you can't have a birthday celebration without cake, so I sucked it up and got baking. Once I got movin on making the cake, it was actually quite nice to not sit around and feel mopey. I guess it's good to keep busy.

Busy like a bee, perhaps? I had hinted in a previous post about something I got in the mail that was bee related and how I've been infatuated with bees as of late.

I fell in love with a cover of Martha's magazine and wanted that cake pan. I eventually found one from here (except I got it cheaper as I bid on it).
So check out the honey for my honey! :) The little bees are made out of almond paste (you could use marzipan or almond paste). I really love how it turned out and Bear enjoyed his cake.
Sometimes having a distraction can be a good thing. I think I'll do some more baking and knitting this weekend. I also have my final cake to prepare for class as I'll be graduating from the Course 1 cake course.

4 comments:

yoel said...

So yummy looking! I am so impressed with your baking/decorating!

Cindy said...

You did a fabulous job! It turned out great and I bet it tasted better than the one on the cover, too!

Carrie Penny said...

SUPER CUTE! I would love a cake like that just because not only on a birthday!

"Hope" said...

I don't believe you did that. ;)
You are amazing!

Michelle in Asheville