September 26, 2008

The Hatchet Man Cometh

The HR Hatchet Man made a visit to our workplace today. He swung... and hit 6 people. He missed me and for that I'm thankful. But this is not a joyful Friday. Everyone left the office today with tears in their eyes and in a state of shock. Things we used to do as part of our service to our clients is now going to be farmed out, simply because it's going to save the branch a few bucks by not having the additional expense of employing your own people and the additional "burdensome" costs that come with it, like vacation and sick days and health insurance. It makes me sick to my stomach that a few good, hard-working people were laid off just to crunch the numbers down. Yes, I know that it's a hard time with the economy being what it is now and I am thankful that I still have a job to pay the bills...but I'm also really bitter too about how everything went down.

I know I'm not the only one who's in fear these days of whether they'll still have their jobs by the end of the year, but for those who are going through the same situation, I know where you're coming from. Times are tough and I hope we can all support those we love and care about, be it family, friends or co-workers.



*hugs* to all those who need one, because I could use a few too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Big hugs from our neck of the woods. And sloppy kisses from the pups. =)

It all sucks. But I like your attitude of sticking together. Sometimes it takes these tragedies remind us how important that is. That sucks too.

Cindy said...

I could write a book about this entire issue, but you know it all and don't need to hear it. H.U.G. from me, H.U.G. from Grover and H.U.G. from the bitch, Esau Marie. We all want you to find some peace with this, when you can. And, for those who lost their jobs? Prayers.

Anonymous said...

I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes the guilt of being spared when layoffs/terminations happen can be so stressful that you feel guilty since you have still a job.

I really have a problem with companies outsourcing even locally...now, when ever there is a problem extra calls will have to be made, mis-communication etc. I believe that it ends up saving the company very little in the long run.