September 15, 2008

Betty Crocker with the trucker mouth

Yep, that's what Bear called me as I worked on my plain iced cake yesterday to take to my 2nd class of Wilton Course 1 tonight. I sure was swearing up a storm as things just weren't going my way. I was getting crumbs in my frosting because the consistency was too thick. I was trying out a new yellow cake recipe from scratch and I didn't notice that my cake was leaning like the tower of Pisa until after it was all decorated. Sigh.

I was also freaking out about the shade of blue it turned out, as I didn't feel that it was "light blue" as instructions called for, but oh well.


As soon as I got to class however, I realized I didn't need to worry about a thing, as everyone else also had their own share of cake disaster stories, including one gal who said her cake had to undergo major reconstructive surgery LOL! It was fun bitching about all the stupid little mistakes we all made and how frustrated we all were.


So with the plain iced cake, we were supposed to make a rainbow cake using the decorating styles we learned in class this evening. I thought my frosting colours looked too neon-ish in the containers when I mixed them, but on the cake, they took on a kinda cute Crayola looking colour, don't they? I guess at the end of it all, I was happy how my cake turned out. Now to take it to work tomorrow so that I don't eat all of it by myself, hehehe :)




In other news, look what's growing on our deck.... A SUNFLOWER! It's only one flower, but it was too cute not to snap a photo and share with all of you.


I even got a little bee in the 2nd photo - how cool! I'm tellin you, I've got a thing for bees lately... wait til I show you what I've got coming in the mail soon... will post photos when it gets here - I can't wait!

10 comments:

hapagirl said...

Dear "Betty Crocker with the trucker mouth,"
I always knew we had much more in common than being hapa! It's always the sweet ones that swear like sailors... :oD

Cindy said...

I love your title! Cracked me up. Your cake turned out gorgeous! How did it taste? And, your sunflower is so pretty. Maybe you'll get seeds for the birds;-)

Carrie Penny said...

I tried to ice a homemade cake... I even had a crumb layer. But as I sit here and type this I am reliving the memory of the ugliest chocolate on chocolate cake in history. My layers (even with perfectly flat cake pieces) had a lump on the right side when assembled, the icing was filled with cumbs and the middle icing (layers thinner than a sheet of paper) seaped out of the icing and was visible... Nope, just not pretty at all, I was surprised that the cake police didn't arrest me for atrocities against baking...

yoel said...

The cake is so cute! The color and rainbow are spot-on care bears.

Cindy said...

I nominated you for an award;-)

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

Great job on the cake!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Betty Crocker with the trucker mouth"...this is why we love your blog!

The cake looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Can I have a piece? :D

Lovely cake! And lovely flower! eheh

kiss*

Saren Johnson said...

Cake looks yummy. I like the blue; very bright. Most cakes are "safe" colors.

Unknown said...

Tag! You're it!

We need to get together! Come to knitting next tuesday. =)