So, with it being New Year's Eve and all, I figured it's time to look back, reflect and see how I can challenge myself in 2011.
Bear losing his job put a damper on the end of this year, but we had lots of good things that came out of this year too. Let's start by looking back at some things that were accomplished this year:
- Participated in the Ravelympics and got several WIPs completed.
- Bear and I went on our first cross country road trip from Florida to Washington state. That was so much fun and I hope Bear and I can head out on another one this coming year.
- Participated in my first fundraising event and was able to raise over $2000 dollars for the Seattle Humane Society (and came in 2nd place for top individual fundraiser for the event).
- Had my first commissioned knitting project and customized a knitting pattern for the first time.
- Started my first stranded knitting project! :)
And now time to look back at my To-Do List from earlier this year to see if I can check some things off, or whether I need to revise it and extend it for 2011:
1. Get more exercise.Be it on my Wii Fit, Yoga, walking, cycling, whatever. Just get off my arse and just get to it - well, I was doing well in July and into autumn when I discovered Zumba at the local community center. I had a lot of fun dancing and getting into shape and I never looked at it as exercising. Who knew dancing could be so much fun? I did lose some weight, but I think I gained it all back since Thanksgiving - oh well :) Although I can no longer attend classes (for now, anyway), I did get a Zumba fitness game for the Wii for Christmas, so I'll be dancing around in my living room instead. The key thing here I think is that I found something that worked for me :)
2. Learn to knit socks using the Magic Loop method - this could've been checked off my list, as our knitting group was learning how to do toe up knitting 2 socks at once, but I had to work late that night, so alas wasn't meant to be. I'll have to renew this one for next year and hope 2011 will be it.
3. Add something new to my baking repertoire (like pate a choux pastry or croissants, or a buche de noel for next Christmas) - didn't experiment too much with baking, but I did have some success with macarons and hope to make more of these in the coming year with different flavors. I think I'll try for a buche de noel next holiday too.
4. Organize my crafts so that it does not take over the entire living room - LOL nope. I'm thinking a purge of some stuff from the house is coming to fruition in the next month or two and with my goal of knitting out of my stash for most of 2011, I also plan to get my entire stash on Ravelry and organized so that I know exactly what I have and perhaps put some sock yarn and patterns together much like the Yarn Harlot did this year and had a self-imposed sock club for my stashdown 2011.
5. Curb my impulse shopping - Aside from the yarnie purchases, I think I did pretty well on this. Bear and I have been more frugal with our spending these days now that we have to, so I think this will be good for both of us as we transition from the wants to the needs with a few treats thrown in here and there for being good :)
6. Reduce my debt as much as possible - I've been chipping away at it, but the biggest thing accomplished this year is that I made no credit card purchases (even during the busy holiday shopping season), which is a first for me I think. Any yarnie/knitting purchases I made were in cash. Will still be chipping away at this and hope to establish a better budget to put more away.
7. Sew a bag
8. Sew a home decor project like some cute pillows or a table runner (maybe take a jab at a small quilting project, perhaps?)
no sewing done this year really, with the exception of some burp cloths I made earlier this year. I know my mom wants a bag too, so perhaps I'll try to challenge myself to complete a sewing project every quarter. I think that's pretty reasonable :)
9. Eat healthfully and continue to eat local and organic.
10. Support more local businesses.
Well! I think that about does it. Look forward to 2011 and documenting my adventures and sharing them with you.
5 comments:
You're honest and that's huge. You also accomplished a huge amount because it's terrible for a loved one to lose a job. I have heard it compared to the death of someone close. Hugs and here's to a wonderful new year!!!!
You did better than most, resolution-wise. Great job, and I'm looking forward to pics of the buche de noel already! Happu 2011!
I'd be happy to teach you 2-at-a-time socks. Its a little tricky at first but before you know it you'll be whipping up socks while you Zumba. =)
The interweb is full of resources to help you learn new skills. While it's handy to have someone you can ask; sometimes you earn it by having to research yourself.
Wow, no credit card purchases?! That is amazing. Way to go.
Post a Comment