September 26, 2010

Walk for the Animals 2010!

Today was the big event here in Seattle, the 8th Annual Walk for the Animals. Saturday was a gorgeous, sunny day and we woke up this Sunday morning, the day of the walk, to rain. Oh well, it's not something we're not used to around here :)


Beautiful, beautiful dog. Those eyes...

One of my fave shots of the day. I loved this punk rock terrier! He fit into this young girl's bag slung over her shoulder. He's rockin the purple 'hawk! (P.S. all the close-up doggie photos are courtesy Bear, who braved the early and wet morning with me today, thanks love!)

Despite the "gorgeous" weather we had this morning, it didn't stop a great crowd of people and dogs from showing up. True Northwesterners here, as despite the rain, no umbrellas :)

Me waiting for the walk to begin at the start line.

Many dogs were available for adoption, like this cutie below. I hope many found new homes during the event!

A meeting of the minds, canine style. Some dogs came in costume, as they had contests to be held later in the day.

This is Moose, who was the sweetest dog. He sat next to us while we waited for the walk to begin. So well behaved and so, so sweet.

This bulldog looked tough. But then again most bulldogs look tough, don't they? I think it's their broad shoulders that make em look tough. But still cute :)

A smug pug.

I liked the star that was dyed on this doggie.

Vanilla, chocolate and caramel colored poodles in front of me during the walk.

A blurry photo of part of the trail on the walk. At least the rain let up during the walk!

Had to throw in Frank to represent the felines, since this post is rather canine-centric. It's certainly easier bringing a canine to an outdoor walk, but Frank was cheering me on at home (although he does look annoyed in this photo, because I had to use flash indoors, hehehe).

Me posing for photos with local TV personality (and fellow animal lover) Herb Weisbaum. I won 2nd place for Top Individual fundraiser, bringing in over $2000 for this walk to benefit the Seattle Humane Society!!!
I can't believe I started off with a simple (and what I thought unattainable at the time) goal to raise $250 and it somehow escalated to figures I had no idea I'd be able to reach! People really opened their hearts and wallets to sponsor me, and I'm proud to have represented all of my friends, family and co-workers who helped me out!

And lastly, my sweet reward at the end of the walk, a chocolate cupcake w/ vanilla frosting from Trophy Cupcakes - yum! My treat to myself for a day full of accomplishments!


This has been such a rewarding experience. Perhaps I should make it an annual tradition? :)

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Emiko, you rock the world. I'm so thrilled and proud of you. And, that cupcake was a small, but yummy reward. Thanks for taking us along!!!!

laura said...

Bravo! I am so impressed! You did great and I am blown away by all of your support....I cannot believe how much you exceeded your goal!!!

Saren Johnson said...

Go you!!

I thought Frankie was annoyed because you came home smelling of dogs.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

The dogs look so cute! Congratulations, again, on raising so much money for such a wonderful cause!!

Frankie is as handsome as ever :) And that cupcake looks really yummy!