Since making my 2008 To Do List earlier this year, I figured I needed to see what I managed to accomplish and not get around to. I'm afraid I didn't do too well...
1. Get more exercise
Definitely didn't happen. Ended up gaining more weight instead. I think that's a BIG part of why I haven't been feeling myself. I'm starting off small, but at least for next month, I'm going to try at least an hour of exercise once a week for a minimum. It's the initial step of getting back into exercising that's difficult. If I can meet that goal at least for the month of January, I can work myself up to 2 hrs, and so on.
2. Knit socks using Magic Loop method
I didn't get to learning this during the year either. I'm going to renew this on my 2009 To Do list because I really want to learn knitting socks using this technique. I'm probably still the only one in my knitting group who's knitting socks on dpn's :)
3. Check out books from the library or buy used instead of new
The first half of the year I was successful in doing so. July rolled around and it went downhill from there. Since we moved this past spring, I haven't gotten around to checking out the library closest to where I live now, so I need to at least do that at the beginning of next year.
4. Organize the home (or more specifically, eliminating paper crap)
I'd say the paper clutter isn't too out of hand as it used to be, but it could still use some improvement. I've removed myself from catalogs and bulk mailings, and Bear's in charge of all the document shredding. With my newly discovered love of crafts of all kinds and learning how to sew and my continued infatuation with yarn and knitting, I've managed to take over the living room with sewing crap, knitting crap and yet to be discovered craft crap. I need to figure out an organization system where I can easily access my craft stuff but have it put away when not in use. I hope to work on that for next year.
5. Do yoga regularly with Bear, so that I can be more relaxed and not uptight about petty things
This one is another one to renew into next year because I didn't get back into Yoga at.all. I keep making excuses of "not having any time", but I do. I think if I can figure out making room in the living room from #4 above, I'll have the room to do my Yoga and not make any more excuses of about not being able to do it because I don't have the room (or time) to do it. And as far as having Bear join me, I can't really convince someone that it's good for you if I'm not practicing myself, can I? So I'll work on myself first then entice him to join me down the road :)
6. Be a better listener
I don't know why I put this in here as a "to do" thing, but I guess I added it so that I can remind myself of something I would like to change about myself. Sometimes my attention span is so short that I drift off in conversations and I really hate it when I do that. So I guess I can put this on my renew for next year's list too.
7. Learn to knit a hat/cap
It was during the month of Nov/Dec, but it was DONE so I can check this off my list! I'm still working on one more hat that I couldn't get finished before the holidays, so I'm holding this one for Bear's daughter's birthday in March. But hats are pretty fun and I look forward to challenging myself with another knitting To Do item for next year.
8. Pay off credit card debt
Sheesh, we're up to #8 already? I must've been overly ambitious (or drunk on too much champagne last New Year's eve hehehe). This one had some peaks and valleys and something I REALLY want to put up at the top of my list for 2009. With the theft of my car earlier this year, Bear and I turned it into a positive experience by using some of the money to pay off a credit card and buying some bicycles for us to trek to work during warmer months instead of buying another car. We figured we could get by with one car between the two of us and so far it had worked out well. Unfortunately my diligence in continuing this momentum went on hiatus because by the end of the year, I managed to put a small balance back onto the card that was paid off, which sucks. I'm angry at myself for giving in to my weaknesses and my impulsive shopping urges and buying things with the card. I decided that aside from my splurge going to Madrona in February and yarn purchases during that weekend only, that will be it for yarn purchases and I'll be knitting from my stash.
9. Set aside money into my savings each month, no matter how little that amount may be
This one didn't work out too well either. I'm going to combine this with #8 and focus on paying off debt first. After the card balance is paid off, then I will focus on establishing a set amount into my savings.
10. Learn to make soap
I didn't learn the soap making I wanted to this year, but I did make some melt-and-pour glycerine peppermint soap for holiday gifts this year, so I'll give myself a half a point for this one. I will like to learn how to make cold process soap someday though.
So those are the updates from my 2008 to do list. Perhaps sometime this weekend I'll get around to posting my official 2009 To Do list after I think about it for a day or two.
In the meantime, I'll get back to my champagne sipping and knitting (it's my 2 year knitting anniversary tonight).
Happy New Year!
5 comments:
Since you're berating yourself, you might want to note that you learned to sew and decorate cakes this year. Those are 2 terrific accomplishments. Happy New Year!
Lets get together for magic-loop sock lessons and I'd be happy to show you what teeny tiny bit I know about soap. Lets sets some dates. =)
If you can figure out a way for us to keep tabs on each other with the yoga thing - I'd love to tackle this challenge with you this year.
I'm so horrid at resolutions that I usually don't bother.
Good goals and it appears you have a support system. Your on your way.
I second Cindy--the cake decorating is waaaay better than soap making! I highly recommend my cheat of putting a freebie resolution on the list each year (ex: floss daily), to feel good on Dec 31.
I need to sit down and come up with my resolutions. I didn't really make any last year... You are more ambitous in crafts if you want to make cold process soap.. I would go batty with that one...
Post a Comment