December 27, 2008

Creme de la crema

Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays. I had a great time, but I'm ready to slow things down a bit and relax before preparing for the new year (which will entail cleaning up the house - yuck). We started picking up around the living room and kitchen today and also stopped by the Japanese market to pick up a few staple items for New Years' food preparations.

Bear and I were able to make it out to see our families on Christmas day, as the main roads were clear, so that was gift in itself, because we didn't know if we could make it out because of all the snow we've had here lately. It even snowed a bit more on Christmas morning, so the Pac NW did end up with a white Christmas. Everyone loved their handknit gifts and even Bear was surprised to get something handknit, as I knit his hat incognito. He kept saying "I thought I'd never get anything handknit from you" :)

So what did Bear and I get each other for Christmas? It's kinda funny, but I guess this tells you how in sync we can be with each other sometimes.

So here's my gift this year to Bear - his own espresso machine!

I got a really nice Kitchenaid hand mixer to supplement the stand mixer I already have (it has 9 speeds!) and also got this from Bear:


It's a burr grinder for our coffee beans, as burr grinders are the way to go if you grind your own beans, which we do. The blade ones are ok, but burr grinders give you better grind consistency and hence produce a better cup of coffee. I've wanted one for quite some time now and it was perfect timing, as it complemented the gift I got for him. No need to head out on a Sunday morning for our Americanos anymore, because we can make one from home now!

Ahh, check out that crema. Bear's still in "barista training", but he's pulling better shots of espresso with each try, so it's working out for me, because I get to reap the benefits of his training :)


Bear has named his little coffee shop in the kitchen "Jumpy Dog Espresso" - I think it fits :) Hmm, I wonder if he's going to be expecting tips from me for pouring my shots now... heheheh

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Thoughtful and practical gifts. How cool. I'm so glad you got out to see your families. Now, we get ready to go back to work. I'm grateful for the job, but this has been just great!

Carrie Penny said...

I got my machine last year and it has been wonderful to have it at the house when I need it. It will take a little while to get used to the shots and how to get the best, but it is worth not having to run down the street all the time to get what you want.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the coffee accoutrements you've got over there! The funny thing is that I developed a taste for coffee (it only took 39 years) and my in-laws gave me a french press. It's a good start for a new (and still rare) coffee drinker.

I love that you were able to knit something for Bear on the sly!

Saren Johnson said...

Nice coffee maker! (I don't like coffee, I call it the vile brew.)

Anonymous said...

These are *exactly* the kind of gifts my boyfriend & I give each other. Useful but *really* desired, too!