The Winter Wonderland Coffee Swap started a weekly topic of the week during the swap as a contest to win some yarn dyed with coffee (how awesome is that?). So the topic for the current week is:
When did you first start drinking coffee? What age were you? Was it about the caffeine, or do you love the taste and smell? Tell us how your passion began!
Well, I'd say I probably first started to drink coffee around the age of 12 or 13. My mom loves coffee and always has hers with a lot of cream and a little sugar. I didn't like the taste of it at the beginning, but the smell of the coffee is what always drove me to taking a sip out of her cup, only to think that it tasted bitter and not understanding why my mom and dad drank the stuff every morning. I remember driving back home with mom from the grocery store (the Commissary as they called it on the military base) with a car full of groceries, and in one of the bags would be about 4-5 bags of freshly ground coffee that my mom always bought, so it permeated the inside of the car and I loved the smell.
In Japan, they have these vending machines that have cans of coffee that you can purchase either chilled or very warm. There was one chilly night I recall where it was just too cold and in desperation, I plunked in my yen for a hot can of sweetened coffee. I could barely hold the can in my hands because it was so hot and played hot potato with it until it cooled off a bit and finally pulled off the lid and touched the sweet caffeinated beverage to my lips. It was SO good and it warmed me up instantly. It was very sweet and had a caramelly coffee taste. I drank it a lot after that and even had coffee at home occassionally with my mom, with lots of sugar and lots of cream. It wasn't until a trip to Norway about 13 years ago that I started to enjoy my coffee black and have preferred drinking it that way since. :)
1 comment:
That coffee in a can sounds really good. My parents were hardcore black coffee drinkers and I always loved the scent too. I remember being so disappointed in the taste. I'm gradually becoming a coffee lover, but have decided to drink decaf because after a few days I realized that the world seemed so much brighter and more colorful after coffee. After a few hours it seemed flat again (like a drug wearing off!)...Last week it was suggested by my mom and husband that my newfound self created and nurtured addiction needed to be nipped in the bud...Now it's decaf because I really do like that coffee flavor. Coffee dyed yarn! That is right up your alley!
Post a Comment