May 21, 2007

Weird things plus 33 more about me

You'd think Seattle would be in the top 10 rainiest cities list, wouldn't ya? Well you're wrong! I was watching the news this morning and Seattle ranked 41. Portland, OR was 42. Our state capital Olympia was 17 but guess who was #1? Mobile, Alabama. I thought that was weird and unexpected.


Bear and I had a conversation this weekend that was pretty funny thinking back on it now. It all started when Bear was talking about some show on cannibalism and the conversation somewhat evolved into this:

Me: So, would you eat my body if I died before you and we were stranded somewhere with no food?



Bear: No. I'd lay down next to you and die. But you HAVE to eat me if I died before you because I'd be a good food source for at least a few days.



Awwww, now that's real love (or we're both really demented heehee)



I know some people have a "100 things about me" list on their blogs, so I thought to make a list of my own for my blog. But when I started the list for myself, I shortened it to 33, because I felt like I was starting to add things that were stupid or uninteresting just to make it to 100, so I thought I'd condense it to the ones that pretty much sum me up.


So here's my list :)

1. I am half Japanese. I’m bilingual and for some strange reason, I’m selective in letting others know this tidbit about myself. I think it has to do with my lack of confidence in the language, particularly when used in the workplace. Either that, or I’m just too lazy to speak in honorific Japanese and just prefer speaking in a casual environment.

2. I was a military brat. My father was in the U.S. Navy, but I didn’t move around much as most military families do (we moved between Japan and California, that was about it). When I was little, I proudly let anyone who wanted to know that "I’m half Japanese and half Navy" (It’s been a family joke ever since).

3. I spent most of my childhood/teenage years in Japan, so some things that may be common knowledge growing up but was unbeknownst to me (particularly when it comes to tv shows) is the gap in my life that Bear refers to as "Japan time" (i.e. H.R. Pufnstuf, Kung Fu TV series, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, etc.). Thanks to Netflix and my boyfriend Bear, "Japan time" has diminished somewhat.

4. I was born in the Year of the Rat and I am a Gemini (but on the cusp of Cancer).


5. I was a band geek in high school. I played the clarinet and also sax. I wanted to be a musician and study music in college. Got a bachelors in Japanese instead.

6. When I went to college, I remember being terrified sitting in an auditorium filled with 300+ students for my Art History class, with a gal sitting next to me asking me whether I used a Mac or a pc (and could not answer her question, as I didn’t know what the hell she was talking about). I can say now that I have a pc, not a mac. Heh.

7. I don’t have a middle name.

8. I love to bake, but hate cleaning up afterwards. I’ll admit I’m a Martha wannabe but know I’d never be able to be as crafty and organized as she. But I certainly try.

9. I love doing laundry. It’s the only chore I don’t really mind doing (even if it means waking up early at some godawful time on the weekend just to beat the mad rush at the laundromat at my condo). There’s something about folding laundry that’s very therapeutic. Nothing’s more beautiful than a neatly folded pile of fresh towels.

10. I love the smell of lavender and anything lavender. It’s some kinda sick infatuation I have. My dream life would be to own my own lavender farm and make every kind of lavender item imaginable (including food using lavender). For now, I live my dream life through a single potted lavender plant on my patio and my annual trip to the Sequim Lavender festival.

11. I’m a worrywart. I get that from my father. It irritates the hell out of me that I’m this way, but it’s just the way it is.

12. I’m a coffee snob. I would forego eating instead of downgrading my choice in coffee beans if running low on cash.

13. I also enjoy tea.

14. I’m not much of a candy person, but I do love me some good chocolate. But out of all sweets, I’m a sucker for cookies and/or a good pastry.

15. I’m pretty much a hermit, and don’t socialize too often, but once you get me out and about, I enjoy it immensely. I guess it just takes me a bit to get acclimated. I’m hoping that joining a knitting circle at my LYS will help me get out of my shell a little more.

16. I had wanted to work in Norway, but could not speak Norwegian and therefore could not find work there (duh).

17. I’m a total impulse shopper. I also tend to shop when I’m hungry, so I buy a lot of things I probably don’t really need.

18. 99% of the shoes I own are black.

19. My wardrobe colours consist mostly of blues, greens and blacks (in solid colours). You might say I have a rather plain (and sorry looking) wardrobe, mostly because I don’t really like clothes shopping. I’m pretty much a t-shirt and jeans kinda gal.

20. I have the biggest sock drawer one can possibly have (and I want to learn how to knit them??? Well, at least I won’t have to buy them anymore heehee)

21. I don’t like being pushed what to do, see, etc., because it adversely has an opposite effect on me.

22. I’ve never watched the movie Titanic (see #21 thanks to mom and her infatuation with Leonardo Dicaprio and her insistence that I MUST watch the best movie ever made). I’m sure I’ll watch it someday, but not until my mom stops asking me whether I have or not.

23. I clip coupons from the Sunday paper, but most end up expiring before I even get to use them.

24. I’m a "planner". It has its advantages and disadvantages.

25. Bear is a free spirit – that’s why he "completes" me (heh, yeah I’m a dork too).

26. I get skeezed out by spiders and I'm also terrified of slugs and caterpillars (they just eek me out).

27. My favorite flowers are tulips.

28. I’m somewhat ambidextrous – I write and eat left handed. I’m right handed when using scissors or playing sports, except for bowling and billiards – then I’m back to being a leftie.

29. I like RC (as in radio control) car racing and also enjoy watching open wheel car racing on TV. I also attend racing events when I can.

30. I type pretty fast. I think I type somewhere around 85wpm. I also hit the keyboard a little too hard when I type, so I make a lot of noise when typing.

31. I’ve never broken a bone *knocks on wood*

32. Between Bear and I, we subscribe to close to 10 magazines (yikes!). Funny thing is, I don’t read all the articles, I just like to thumb through them for the most part.

33. I’m a toiletry/cosmetics whore – I love trying out new products (that I read about in my magazines of course) and have amassed quite a collection in our bathroom (I need a his & hers bathroom with double sinks – someday maybe).

3 comments:

Knittymama said...

Yay for band geeks! I was one to. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love lavender too, but not as much as Seth. He found this lavender chocolate one time that just really grossed me out. I'm all for sniffing it, but eating it is another thing for me. =D

Laurie said...

I also started on the "100 things" but found that many people's are a bit stretched out to make 100, without substance. I didn't want to be one of those people so I didn't finish it...now, you have broken ground on changing that trend. I will be looking at my list and seeing what number works for me. Thanks.
If I could, I would plant my entire yard in lavender. One warm summer day, we purchased fresh cut lavender, put it in the the back of the jeep (we have a hard top) and went to lunch. By the time we returned, the entire inside of the jeep was permeated with such a strong smell of lavender, it took hours for it to mellow. It was wonderful.