Ok, I just had a breakthrough moment with my trekking socks that I had to post.
I've had the heel flap done for about a week now and have been dreading the whole turning the heel portion of sock knitting for quite some time. I guess you can say it intimidated me, as I couldn't figure it out. How does it turn? How do you exactly do that? I just didn't get it. That was probably why I've been taking my time getting to this point, as I was in no rush to attack this new technique in my sock knitting adventure. It probably didn't help that I was looking at two patterns at the same time and kinda incorporating both of them into my sock (NOT recommended, btw). But, I didn't have a choice, because when one pattern didn't make sense to me, I had another to read that explained the next process in easier to understand text for me. UNTIL I GOT TO TURNING THE HEEL. I read the pattern(s), attempted what I thought were the instructions on the pattern, but ended with some kinda crazy whacked out mess. What was supposed to be a relaxing lunch hour at work knitting brought instead stressed out bumminess, thinking I got this far into my first sock and that I'd have to frog it.
But I just laid off the sock for a day or two then got back to it this evening. One positive note out of the mess was that I've learned to tink AND know what I was actually doing, which is of course very important to know in knitting. Everyone's heard the "you learn from your mistakes" phrase at some point in their lives, but for my knitting, it helped me feel more comfortable in knowing how to read my stitches and knowing how to correct them. I was on a good pace in identifying and correcting my mess until it was back to the last row of the heel flap. I FINALLY found a
website with clear as day visual and written instructions that I was able to follow without any hiccups or tilting-of-the-head-to-the-side-and-say-huh? moments and got this:

Dudes, check that craziness out - I FRIGGIN TURNED A DAMN HEEL! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?????? I, yeah ME.TURNED.A.HEEL. It's just crazy, I'm tellin ya. I had to run into the bedroom to show Bear who was online gaming and interrupt his shooting to show him what I had done. He was pretty impressed and was able to identify what it was. I am so ecstatic you just don't know! So I snapped a photo and ran over to the laptop to post of my super huge breakthrough moment. w00w00w00w00w00w00w00! Ok, I think I'm calm now :)
Now.... after all of that madness, all's I gotta say is: WHY DO PATTERNS JUST ASSUME THE KNITTER WOULD KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT OR EXPECT YOU TO KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT IF IT'S NOT EVEN DOCUMENTED AS A STEP ON THE PATTERN? Is this just a gripe for a beginning knitter as myself or is it the patterns that I've selected? If it's just me being a beginner, then I need to get a "sock knitting pattern reading for dummies" so it's all in simple English, and documents ALL steps (including those that one would assume you'd know you have to do but didn't bother to document on the pattern). I mean for cryin out loud, a friggin' can of corn even has instructions (next time read your labels, you'll see I'm not kidding): "open can, empty contents, heat through and enjoy". What's another detailed step or two to add onto the pattern for us new knitter folk? But enough about my griping, because I got past the part of sock knitting I was scared of and I came out triumphant :) heehee
Well, it's time to go to bed.... here's a photo of the moon out of my living room window. I love when you can see a full moon out of it, though this isn't a full moon of course. Good night.

5 comments:
I'm SO glad you got it worked out. Now I can't wait to see the finished sock!
Nice work. I'm sure you now understand the power of turning a heel and that it is a large part of sock knitting addiction. Welcome to the club:)
I do have to agree: some patterns are just not that well written. =/ Now that I'm a more advanced knitter, my main gripe is that most knitting books take half the book to show you how to knit. I already know how!!
Congrats on the sock! Once that puppy is finished, you'll be WAAAAY happy! First sockness is very awesome!
Hi, Its your knitterly penpal - I only just got your letter a few days ago! I'll write soon, but I just wanted to say that I really like your blog (great photos), and the sock is looking great.
That first turn is indeed a "high". Congrats...I totally understand about finding detailed information on these things in patterns. I, too, had the same issue when I first started on socks. To make matters worse, there are several ways to knit heels. Find one you not only like to do but one that fits your foot. All heels are not alike in their fit.
After you are in a spot that socks come easily, you will see that some patterns give you too much information, 'cause it is "obvious" what to do. Then, at this point, you can venture out on the multitude designs of stitches to feed your hunger for challenges.
I was guilty of the one sock syndrome until I learned that, for me, I MUST knit both at the same time. I prefer toe-up, so toes on one done, go to the second and knit toes on it. Ahhh, two toes done. Etc., until complete.
A real crack up is, after you get to a comfort level with your socks, knit some in public! People are quite mystified. Good times.
Post a Comment