No, the blog title is not backwards - it's intentional :)
After my previous post about all Fall activities, my cake decorating class is reminding me of spring... spring flowers, that is.
I don't have to make a cake every week like in Course 1, hence no pictures of cakes recently. The first two classes in this course entailed working with royal icing and color flow to make these:
apple blossoms

mums (my least favorite to make so far)
mums (my least favorite to make so far)
leaves for violets
and violets (so far my favorite to make)
This picture below is a partially done bluebird that will be used for our final cake. It is done using the color flow method, where you outline whatever design you want and then "flood" in the colour inside the outline for a smooth finish.
All of these items are dried for a short period and then placed into an airtight container to be put together for the final cake. I didn't know that sugar flowers can last for a long time if kept under the right conditions.
It was kind of funny that I learned how to make the violet flower, because the day before class, a friend and I stopped by Cupcake Royale that was located next to the farmers market we were going to. They had a lavender cupcake with lavender buttercream frosting that I had to try.
See the little purple flower on the cupcake? Looks pretty similar to these pretties in the photo that I made in class below, no?
6 comments:
You are so much better than I ever was. I am truly impressed.
Wow you have really taken to cake decorating I'm impressed and a little hungry my sweet tooth acting up again :)
Amazing! I think the mums would look gorgeous on top of a cupcake, esp a bunch of them massed together like real mums. But mum's the word!
I think they look great, but they are really making me want an over iced slice of birthday cake!
I am in love with the apple blossoms! I can't wait to see how all of there are going to come together for the final cake!
Personally, I think your violet blossoms are even prettier than the ones from the bakery.
You are really good at this!
p.s. One of my favorite episodes of Nigella has her going to a store and buying packets of flowers just like these. It made me want to have a bunch on hand at all times, and now you will!
Post a Comment