Or roughly translated, "Happy New Year! I hope for your continued favour this year" in Japanese. It's the typical greeting you give to everyone you meet in the new year.
I thought I'd share some Japanese New Years traditions that are observed, as New Years is the big holiday that is celebrated by everyone. It's usually this time of year that I feel a yearning to be back in Japan to celebrate the holidays. However, I will share with you some traditions observed during New Years.
Joya no Kane (midnight tolling of temple bells)
On New Year's Eve, all the temples in Japan begin the tolling of the temple bells, as Buddhist beliefs state man has 108 worldly desires and the tolls of the bells drives them out.
It is also the time of year when major cleaning takes place. It's the equivalent of spring cleaning I suppose, but it's mostly for spiritual cleansing, so that one can have a fresh start for the new year. Bear and I spent the weekend picking up around the home, taking out the tree and putting away the holiday decorations.
Osechi ryori (traditional Japanese New Years food)
In the photo above, to the left I have both seaweed (konbu), which symbolizes happiness, the kuromame (black beans) symbolizes a healthy life, the yellow sweet egg roll, which symbolizes the progress of knowledge, and the pink and white kamaboko (fish cake) with its colour and shape, symbolizes the rising sun. You can't see it in the photo, but the fish cake when sliced, has a matsu (pine) shape in the middle, which is also an auspicious symbol.
And the last photo has some renkon (lotus root), kimpira gobo (a slightly spicy carrot/burdock root) mixture I made the other night. Gobo (burdock root) is eaten during the new year, to symbolize a long, healthy life. And lastly, I threw in some gobo tempura (fried fish cake with burdock root) in for good measure, and just because I like to eat them :)
We also eat ozoni (new year's soup with mochi), but no pictures as I haven't made it yet.
Here's to a great 2008!!!
4 comments:
Yum! All of that food looks great! Your writing of the bells tolling reminds when I was in Japan on New Year's day 1992. We went to the temple and rang the bell.
And a wonderful healthy and happy New Year to you, as well. Thanks for the pictures and explanations. The symbolism is fascinating.
Thanks for sharing your family's tradition. Have a wonderful new year.
Hey! I was here before and could swear I left a comment?? Odd, I'm having real computer issues lately. I love that you can make this great food and I want so much for you to show us how you make rice cakes! There's a place here in town that makes them and the deep fries them. I'm shamed to say that I like them deep fried!
Post a Comment