January 9, 2008

Matcha madness and new yarn

I have been coveting Sundara Yarn for awhile and with some money I received for Christmas, I splurged and was able to snag a couple of her luscious sock yarns during her last update. I love the names she gives her yarn.


There's Brown Sugar over Buttermilk,





Marina over Icicles









Plum (the color is a deeper burgundy purple - the photo doesn't really capture it well)





and Green Tea!



Speaking of green tea or matcha if you will, lately the Japanese part of me is begging for attention, so I felt compelled to buy some matcha for some delicious green tea. I've also felt a little experimental and look forward to trying some new baking recipes using green tea, which I've been wanting to do for awhile. Perhaps this weekend. I also recently came across some local workshops coming up where I can learn to make wagashi or Japanese tea sweets that I am really looking forward to.

I wish I had a little extra spending money, as I would love to learn the tea ceremony again. I had a chance to take it as a class at university through the local Urasenke foundation.
I really enjoyed it and hope I can attend another ceremony, at least as a visitor someday.


In the spring, tea ceremonies are held at the Japanese tea house at the Japanese garden in Seattle's arboreteum. It's a beautiful garden and worth paying admission for IMO.

Well best be getting ready for work. Tonight's knit night, which I haven't gone to in ages, so I really look forward to it. Yippee!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo lovely colors and nice pics! :)

Cindy said...

Goodies. How lovely. Maybe some day you and Bear can come to the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis. We have stunning Japanese garden and a festival every Labor Day weekend.

Anonymous said...

Awesome colors you have there! I envy you! :) I've never attended to a tea ceremony, I have to try it some of this days. Hope you had fun in your knitting night* kiss*

Anonymous said...

I went to Wikipedia to look up wagahsi...I've had them, but never knew the official name. You just don't know how I envy you living in a city where all this is at your fingertips.