January 14, 2008

A little more randomness... and an award!



w00h00! I was awarded the “You’re an amazing blogger” award by Laura of Little Orange Kitchen. Thank you for thinking of me!




She also tagged me for a 7 random facts meme. I’m going to follow in her footsteps and use the same questions she answered for the 7 random facts meme.


1. If you could change your name what would it be?
I think over the years growing up, I focused more on not what name I would have liked to have had, but why I had the name given to me. I used to yell at my mom when I was a kid, crying and blaming her because I was made fun at school by the other kids because they couldn’t pronounce my name. “Why did you give me a Japanese name??? No one can pronounce it and I HATE it!!!!!” But I grew out of it eventually. If was my father’s preference that my sister and I be given Japanese names for our first name (many of our friends who were also half-Japanese had Japanese names as their middle names, not for their first name).


Out of curiosity one day, I asked my mom what “American” name she would have given me if it wasn’t Emiko. She replied, “I think I’d have named you Margaret.” Now no offense to the Margarets of this world, but I am not a Margaret. I just don’t think I’m Margaret-esque, whatever that may mean (just don’t take it in a negative context, please, because it’s not meant to be!). Needless to say, I’ve been a much more content Emiko since then :)


2. Describe a time you've gone overboard
Hmm, I think it’s easier to think of a time when I’ve NOT gone overboard, hehehhe. I’m habitually one that goes overboard when thought is involved and I get carried away until I get a good smack upside the head to come to my senses and be more reasonable in my analyzing and planning. I’m sure Bear would have a few stories to tell about me going overboard, I just can’t think of any off the top of my head right now. I know, generic answers and not giving you any specifics to my randomness, am I? Tough, this is all you’re gettin’ today, ‘cause it’s the mood that I’m in.


3. What are you presently wearing?
As long as this question isn’t being asked by some freaky dude breathing heavily into a phone mistaking this for a 900 call, I’ll answer (hehehe).


I am wearing an orangey-red mock turtleneck, a dark blue fleece vest and a pair of jeans. Hmm, you’ve got me thinking… how DO you describe an orangey-red color - sienna orange? Sunset orange? I have no clue… where’s the catalogue technical writer when you need one? That’d be a fun job though, to spend your day coming up with delicious names to describe the color for clothing in catalogues, and in my case, especially when the colors incorporate food … like aubergine or mojito green or…ok, ok, I’m straying off topic!


4. Who can you never please?
Myself. I’m way too hard on myself most of the time, but I won’t say I’m always hard on myself ALL of the time. I do give myself credit when credit’s due. The part I need to work on is when I start to nit-pick about trivial things that are insubstantial to most folk but stick out like a sore thumb to me.


5. What do you wait for?
I was going to be a total dork and say “the bus?” but I didn’t want to lose the blog readers I’ve managed to round up so far if they knew I really was a dork (I know, too late).
Hmm, good question. I think I generally tend to wait for opportunity to come around rather than seeking it from my end. I need to bulk up on the “go for it” factor instead of contemplating everything and making sure all my t’s are crossed before I do things. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow. It’s still a difficult process for me, but I’m catching on little by little.

6. How did you learn about the birds and the bees?
I think it was during 5th grade when we got to watch The Film at school. I don’t think I ever got The Talk by either of my parents about the birds and the bees. If I did, it must have been traumatic enough for me to block it out of memory hahahaha. Other than that, I learned what I learned from friends for the most part. Mom gave me my talking to when girls start getting their monthly visitor, but I remember reading Judy Blume’s book “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” as a pre-teen growing up and it was a little comforting to know that the weird changes experienced (or were forthcoming) as an adolescent was normal (although at the time I was reading the book, I was puzzled by what the hell a belted sanitary napkin was, because that’s old school – oh the horror!). But hey, I think I’m borderlining on Too Much Info, so I’ll recede.


7. Is it easy to be you?
I don’t know if it’s easy being me. I don’t know if it’s hard being me either. I guess it’s both easy and difficult. Gotta have the yin with the yang. Without one, I won’t understand (or appreciate) the other – isn’t that how it works? :)


I won’t tag anyone for the meme, but you’re welcome to do the 7 random facts meme (and answer the same questions as I did if you like). Let me know if you do, so that I can come by and read all about it!


I will however, forward on the "You're An Amazing Blogger" award to my new blog friend Knitisses, who is blogging all the way from Portugal! She's an amazing blogger because although she's never had marshmallows before (nor can she find it at any store in order to participate in a contest for a hot cocoa swap), she's trying to use the ingredients she has available to make them. Now that's dedication I like to see in cooking! She's also an avid car lover and has travelled the world in rallies and has even been to africa! I live vicariously through her travels :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy Blume was always a favorite! I remember reading about the "belted sanitary napkins" too! I love the name Emiko. There's a blog called Brownie Points that has a fantastic recipe for marshmallows.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award Emicat* :D I'm going to answer the questions on my blog too! Hey Laura, I've printed that recipe, I'm going to try it again this weekend! :D Thanks for the tip! eh eh kiss*

Saren Johnson said...

Wow, that is a good me-me.