January 23, 2008

Queen of Hearts


Man, I think SAD has really been affecting me this winter. I’m just really blah these days and it's hard for me to shake it off. On a positive note however, the past 3-4 days have been dry and sunny with a crisp chill in the air, so I’ve managed to get out and have some sun on my face for a little bit.


I’ve also been attempting to schedule a one hour walk with a friend after work 3 times a week, but had so far not been able to follow through with it. Sometimes I’ve had things I wanted to take care of after work, and sometimes I was just too tired or blah to go, even if I knew it would do me good. Well this week, it was finally time to stop flaking out and follow through with my intentions. Well so far I’ve managed 2 walks out of 3 with plans for the third walk later this week so I’m holding true to my goal this week. Once the weather warms up (and gets lighter at night), I hope to increase the number of walks, perhaps add one on the weekend with Bear (you’re reading this right? Hehehe).


I think I’ve mentioned somewhere that I’m a compulsive magazine shopper. I subscribe to a few, but the bulk of my magazine purchases are impulsive while waiting in line at the supermarket. It’s almost always triggered by the photo on the front cover of a magazine that catches my eye and ends up coming home with me. Here are two that came home in that exact manner.


I’ve come to realize that I like Valentine’s day related crafts, especially when it comes to baking something cute and heart shaped. The too-cute-to-eat petit fours hearts on the one cover (love that milk glass cake stand!!!) and the heart made out of rosebuds on the other were just too pretty to pass up.


To add to the cutesy heart-shaped madness, I also recently stopped by a Daiso store and came back home with some stuff I plan to make for Valentines day. I picked up some plastic heart molds so that I can make some molded chocolate hearts and I also picked up a large metal heart mold to make heart-shaped pancakes for a weekend breakfast.



That Daiso store is really dangerous though… I always end up walking out with waaaay more stuff than I intend to, especially when it comes to kitchenware, bento boxes and cute little food containers.


I always looked forward to Valentine’s Day in elementary school, where you made and decorated your paper lunch bag “mailbox” with the anticipation of getting that special card from the boy you had a crush on. I remember one year I made one with a white paper lunch sack decorated with a pink paper doily heart with a smaller red doily heart overlapped on top. After all the care I took to make it, some little twerp goes racing through the aisles and rips everyone’s bags off the sides of the desks, including mine. All the girls were so mad! But we all fixed it up and waited for the moment we all walked around to play mailman. Even if you knew everyone was getting a card from everyone in the class, it was that one card you’re always waiting for and that you pretended was meant only for you. I looked forward to that and all the sugary frosted cupcakes everyone brought to school. I was sad to hear recently that these days, most schools you can’t even bring baked goods to school anymore because of allergy/safety concerns. I mean I understand why, but it kinda sucks to know that something you enjoyed as a kid in school is no longer the case.

When it gets closer to Valentine’s day, I hope to have some cute heart-shaped goodies to post here on the blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi* I see you are getting ready for valentine's day! :) I missed reading you* kiss*

Unknown said...

I don't remember seeing stuff this cute at Daiso. Road trip! I can't wait to see what you have planned for valentines day. Yumm!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I checked my feed every day to see if you had a knew post and no...so I finally clicked over from a link and Jeez...I have some catching up to to.

I would love to have a Daiso store close by and I'd love to own a bento box.

I remember looking for telltale clues that a boy was madly in love with by what was on the Valentine...like did his say "Be Mine" with a heart as opposed to the one he gave my girlfriend that said . "Hare's looking at you Valentine" with a rabbit on it." :)