... turned to this Sunday evening into Monday morning, thanks to warmer temps and "the Pineapple Express"
The rain did.not.let.up.at.all and was drip drop dribbling the entire night over our roof and I'm talking about those big, ginormous raindrops that soak your entire body in 30 seconds what would normally take about 30 minutes to get that wet. That kind of rain. See my weather pixie in the top right corner of my blog? Well the raindrop size ratio pretty much is to size next to my pixie - that ought to give you a better idea of how big the raindrops were).
So Bear and I are trapped at home because we couldn't get out of the parking lot. It appears some people drove onto other people's lawns to get to higher ground to get where they were going. I'm not going to mess up someone's lawn and I'm certainly not going to try to drive through water that in some areas is more than waist deep (not exaggerating!). Talk about having to make a phone call to work that sounds awfully fishy eh? "Uhm, yeah, I can't get out of my parking lot because it's flooded." Well, it really was. I guess I'm rather lucky to have a pretty understanding boss - I told him I owe him an eggnog latte. He did say that I have to come in to work tomorrow, even if it meant having to kayak my way out of here :)
So now that I'm home for the day, I was waiting for the mailman to get here (I'm expecting a package) and wondering if he could even make it in. I happened to be out checking the water situation out in the parking lot (we had to move our cars twice because the water kept creeping up and we're running out of spaces to move them to - not good!) when I saw the beloved little mailman truck come around the corner. I don't think he knew how deep the water was, because all of a sudden, you see the water rush up onto the hood of the vehicle and he barely made it out of "the lake" (his engine did stall briefly). He finally got it running and got to the mailboxes, only to find out the water climbing up near the mailboxes too, so he swerved his little truck around, drove up onto someone's lawn and got the heck outta there. I'm really bummed, because for that brief moment, Mr. Mailman was my hero. I thought to myself, "Wow, our U.S. Postal Service do live by the motto, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" "... sure, but it doesn't mean they'll come out of their trucks and deliver the mail under those conditions. Oh well.
4 comments:
Here's hoping your parking lot and streets dry up soon. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.
I've been thinking about you. Stay dry and safe!
I'm sorry about the messy weather and even more sorry you couldn't get your package!
I had never even heard of the pineapple express before!
I have enjoyed my visit to your blog. I published some of my visit with you on mine. Thanks.
Post a Comment