December 14, 2007

Bringing Home the Bakin'



Despite me being a little stressed right now, I have managed to get some holiday baking going on in the past week. I made some mini pannetone (and how does one pluralize pannetone?) using a recipe I've been meaning to try and I loved them! They are excellent for breakfast and I loved making them muffin sized rather than the big loaves you'd see them boxed up in around this time of year. I love the combination of ginger and cranberries together (which reminds me I still need to post the cranberry sauce recipe!), so this recipe will definitely fall into my regular baking rotation from now on.



I also participated in a cookie exchange and had to bake up a bunch of cookies. I debated on what to make and at the last minute decided on rugelach.



Yes, I know it's a lot of butter, and yes, I know it's a lot of cream cheese, but hey, it's the holidays and it's not the time of year to be skimpin out on ingredients when it comes to baking, but if you can find a way to lighten it up, by all means go for it. Because this dough requires a lot of chilling (and you cannot skimp on the chilling of the dough), I basically spent two evenings worth to prepare them. The first evening I made the batch of dough, quartered them up and wrapped each disc in plastic wrap (I've also heard rugelagh dough is great to freeze so that you have some dough prepared when in a pinch). The next evening, I rolled out the dough, spread the filling, rolled them up and put then back into the fridge to chill the dough for another 30 minutes (and you really have to do this too, otherwise the dough will be too soft and you'll just have a mushy, spread out mess) then brushed with a little egg/milk wash before they went into the oven.


I loved packaging these little morsels of deliciousness with some cute green ribbon. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it in the end, because I got a bunch of other cookies to try out. Now that I'm overcookie-fied this week, I don't think I want to see another cookie for the rest of the year. Except that I need to bake more cookies to gift for my neighbors this weekend, so a slave to the oven I must be yet again...

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Oooooh. Cookies. I love me some cookies, but alas, cannot eat wheat. Yours look fabulous, as do your mini-pannetone(and, no, I do not know the plural). I still need to bake my yogurt bread, but keep putting it off because it's good for about 6 hours of my life. Have a great weekend.

littleorangekitchen said...

The cookies look great! I love seeing little cellophane bundles of treats whether they are to eat or drop in the tub.

I never even thought of making mini-pannetone.

danielle said...

where or where did you find the mini-panettone recipe??? i love love love panettone - toasted and dripping with butter! yum!!!