December 12, 2007

Drying up and catching up

*Phew*! What a week or so it's been. Thanks for everyone's well wishes. I didn't have to kayak out of my parking lot to go to work after last week's torrential downpour. It was weird having a major intersection connecting Portland and Seattle completely shut down for a few days. My job is connected to the transportation business somewhat, so to see the transport of goods pretty much halted was a little weird. It's an odd sight to see a road you've driven on many times completely covered in 10 feet of water on the news. I feel really bad for the folks who have lost everything and my heart goes out to them.




On top of that, a co-worker's (and one of Bear's close friends) wife passed away this past weekend. Bear and I had been over to their house for dinner and a movie and such and have enjoyed their company. I seem to get a little weird when someone passes on that I know, because it seems that it's during those moments that you realize how precious and fragile life is and how you really need to live each moment of your life with no regrets and to try and not worry about the stupid little things, which I tend to do more than I'd like to. I got all emotional this evening when Bear told me that our friend is having a difficult time being at home, having that feeling that someone you've shared your life with is no longer there physically, but at times feeling like they are still there and in the other room and you have to catch yourself from calling out to them, or to realize all the little things that they took care of for you each morning as you got ready for work, like having your sandwiches prepared.. I'm certain it's not an easy path to recover from a loss of a loved one and I hope he'll be ok. I think it was good for Bear to give his buddy a call to go about their usual online gaming just to bring back a little normalcy.





Alas, I didn't mean for this post to be all downer, sorry. I was trying to catch up on my blog posting and I guess some emotions are rising to the surface more than others right now.






I have a long overdue thank you to my SP11 pal Melinda. She spoiled me rotten and it was great getting packages from her. See my last reveal package just packed to the rim? This was everything that was in the box (minus the Ghiradelli chocolates, that were ravenously devoured by yours truly and Bear - can you say it's the holidays and I feel my arse getting bigger by the second?). She included some yarns I haven't tried before that I look forward to knitting with, a Mexican cookbook and another Stitch and Bitch book for me to learn more knitting stuff and candy and chocolate tucked here and there in the box and a pretty necklace and I know I'm forgetting things as I'm trying to go by memory... so much, so much. Thank you so much Melinda - you're a great swapper and I look forward to getting to know you more now that I know who you are and can go stalk your blog :) Thank you again for everything.



I've kinda plateaued on my holiday knitting and am taking a little break for a few days until crunch time, which is this weekend. I just have one more scarf to knit and a few more dishcloths and then I'm done. Bear and I managed to get a tree and got all the ornaments up (it's a cat and dog theme on our tree, the cat representing me, and the dog representing Bear).



I'll save my baking post for another day, as I did manage to do some of that in the past day or so. I still have more baking to do this weekend to give to my neighbors. I've been a little stressed due to a combination of things, but I hope to get back normal, whatever that may be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a timely post. I think all of us need to read something like this because it makes us take a pause (a break away from candy canes and ornaments) to think about how this isn't the best time of year for everyone...and that at the bare minimum, one man will be sad this year and lonely for his wife(and that's the bare minimum).

I'm sorry things are crappy at work..

On a lighter note. Your tree looks so pretty...It's so softly lit.

Emily said...

I'll give you a bigger thank you in my blog later, but I thought I'd let you know that I have received your very lovely final package and figured out your identity. Thanks so much for being such a great pal.

Cindy said...

I'm sorry I just read the blog. I've been a bit out of the loop myself. It's good to remember how fine the thread of life is. It's not a downer. It's reality. Take care of yourself and your loved ones. In the end, it's all that matters.