August 3, 2008

Old Endings, New Beginnings

Can you believe it took me about 7 months just to finish these??? Yes folks, the Monkeys are finito! I just finished weaving in the ends this morning.

Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A.
Yarn: Spritely Goods' Peppercorn Blend (in Sylph)

Needles: size 2.75mm bamboo dpn's

Mods: 2x2 ribbing for the cuff, only 5 pattern repeats for the leg

I'm calling these "Good monkey, Bad monkey" because as you can see here, I made a little boo boo on my 2nd sock...unbeknownst to me until I was already 3/4 of the way done with the second sock, I realized that I almost doubled the length of the heel flap. Doh. Don't ask me how I did it; I have no clue. That takes mad skill folks. Not too noticeable until you see if from the back.
But even so, I'll still wear these and it's a reminder that they are handmade after all. I still love 'em!

I'm also starting to slowly prepare (yikes!) for the holidays, as I plan to make as many handmade gifts as I can again this year. I ordered a buttload of cotton yarn recently to make dishcloths, grocery bags and whatever else comes my mind. Just look how much yarn I got!

I also went crazy and bought the new Heather Ross' new line of fabric called Mendocino. They're mermaid/sea creature themed fabric and were absolutely adorable!


Just look at the detail of the mermaids and I LOVE the chocolate brown!

Want to know the funny thing, though? I don't friggin know how to sew...

Yet. I finally decided that I'm determined to learn how to sew instead of giving my mom the fabric to make things for me. So this will be another venture into "new beginnings" for me. Wish me luck. Bear's already worried about whether the fabric stash will begin to grow as quickly as my yarn stash had, hehehe.


But not to fret, the "old endings" doesn't mean I'm putting down the knitting needles. I'm so excited now that the socks are done that I'm ready to CO for something new. Hmm...what to knit, what to knit.

6 comments:

yoel said...

That fabric is fantastic! It would be so great for bags/purses.

And yowza! re: all that yarn!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I not only love the socks and envy the yarn...I'm going crazy over the fabric!!! WOW. Mermaids are my favorite!!!

OK...WHEW. I'm calming down and can go back to congratulating you on the socks! They are super cute!

I'm with you on the sewing...my sewing lessons ended when I quit my job and now am going to ask my mother in-law to help me make potholders. I can sew, but I can't handle the machine...like if the tension gets weird and the thread gets bunched up, I never recover.

hapagirl said...

Your socks look great! I'm trying to gather up the courage to knit something more complicated like the monkey socks, but I keep knitting long rectangles.

Good luck with the sewing (I got into it so I could sew things to stash my knitting in!) By the way...the fabric stash? It multiplies at night like yarn does! (That's my story & I'm sticking to it)

Cindy said...

Sewing is a wonderful thing to know. I don't enjoy it, but I know how and that helps with all kinds of things. I love your monkey socks. They turned out beautifully. My suggestion? Start a gift. Then, you can start a new pair of socks;-)

Rhonda said...

Yipee! The socks are done! Please bring them to knitting so we can all admire them!

Carrie said...

That fabric is so cute--you must learn to sew something with it! You won't beleive how much faster it is than knitting, it makes it harder for the fabric to pile up. In theory, anyway.