March 25, 2008

Movin' on up


Well, I've got some updates to share with all of you. For those of you still reading my blog, thank you :) I hope to get back to regularly scheduled blogging very, very soon.

So, regarding updates on the car, there isn't any. It's still missing and I still miss my car. Last week was horrible and really difficult for me. Every time we drove out of the parking lot in the morning on our way to work, I started bawling. It's hard to not see your car that you've seen every morning in the parking lot where you've lived for the past 5 years. The longer it's been finding out about my car being stolen, the smaller the chances are that I'm not going to see it again. At least that's how I'm feeling right now.

To make matters even more stressful for me, the day after my car was stolen, we received a call from our landlord with some bad news. He's going through a divorce and apparently lost the condo units he owned to his soon to be ex-wife. So basically, he was calling us to give us a heads up that we'll be given a notice to vacate because she wants to sell the unit we live in.

I know, bad timing, right? I thought so too. Our trip to Japan is only weeks away and I was turning into a nutcase. I really didn't know what to do. I thought all the good luck I was having was suddenly being overturned by the bad juju monsters. But the other day, I saw a condo rental ad online that called my name. I called the ad and was told the property manager was just driving away with the lease paperwork for someone interested in the unit. I was really, really bummed upon hearing that and thought I missed out. Just great, yet another thing that's not working out, I thought.


But persistence is key here. Bear happened to come across the same ad a few days later on another website, thinking it was a different condo unit and called the number and was told that it was available to view. So we went to go check out the unit during lunchtime last Friday. We found another couple waiting there to view the place too, so Bear and I had to put on our aggressive renter mode to really show that we were serious about wanting to rent this place. Upon talking with the agent, he advised that the couple who had originally shown interest on that unit and put in an application to rent before us were being wishy washy about their decision. Bear and I wanted this place and came prepared. We had completed applications even before taking a look at the unit in case we really liked the place (which we were certain we were because Bear and I both had good vibes about the place) and today I can share with you the news that we won't be homeless after all :) We're signing the lease tomorrow and will be moving (gulp!) this weekend.

I can't believe it's only been a week since all of this has transpired. The rent is more than what we're paying now, so some play money I've had for things like espresso and yarn will definitely be limited. Although I'm still stressed about things, I feel like this change is going to be a much needed change for Bear and I. No more parking lot flooding to worry about. We'll have a kitchen with SUNLIGHT and a deck for our rosemary and lavender to grow. We'll live so close to work that I can buy a bicycle and cycle in to work if I want to. We'll have a garage to park our car unlike the two car thefts we've experienced living here (yes, two. Bear had his old truck stolen a few years ago, only to find it across the street in an apartment complex across the street two months later). And another good thing? I'll have my OWN washer and dryer and can enjoy laundry the way I used to.

So, this is what I'll be doing for the rest of this week - packing all of our crap in boxes for the big move. I hope this will be a change for the better so that I can have a mental fresh start to my life so that I don't focus on the negatives so much. I may be absent for another week or two, but I'll post very, very soon to show you my new digs.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some good is coming out of the bad! And a bicycle ride to work sounds like heaven!! Especially with the price of gas right now. Good luck moving, can't wait to see pics of the new digs!
XOXOX

Wendy said...

I agree with Cass... biking to work sounds wonderful! Things are turning around for you and you'll be able to enjoy that Japan trip after all!

Cindy said...

Oh sweetie, I'm sorry this has been so stressful, but I am also not surprised that you are coming out on top. Good karma:)

Rhonda said...

Congrats on your new home. It sounds like y'all were meant to have it!

P.S. Will miss you at knitting tonight. I have a cute tawashi pattern i'm working on for a swap.

Anonymous said...

What a great news! I'm so glad to hear it! And the bicycle will do you wonders! :)

Keep happy thoughts in mind*

kiss*
Sofia

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you found a place with a patio! It really seems like a good match. I'm impressed with you and Bear and your full-on rental mode method. Good for you guys!

Saren Johnson said...

The condo sounds like a good deal.

murk81 said...

Oh this is such good news! Things usually work them selves out!

Knittymama said...

Oh, lots of hugs!! This stuff is always so rough to go through, but I bet in a month when you're all settled in you'll sit back in that new condo and just love it!