October 23, 2007

Winter Wonderland Coffee Swap

Shut up, I know. I KNOW *sigh* I signed up for another one. It's my last one for the year, promise. Really. It's COFFEE. Can't. Resist. So here's the super-lengthy post I need to put on my blog in order to sign up (the things I have to do to get a cup of coffee 'round here, sheesh! hehehe)

Coffee
What are your favorite kinds of coffee? (Brands, Roasts, anything at all you'd like to share!)
I love dark roasts. French roast is my usual default with any kind of coffee, but as long as it's a dark roast w/ full-bodied flavor, you can't go wrong. Some of my default choices are Torrefazione Palermo blend and Peets French roast. I also like the Swedish coffees (like the ones you can get at Ikea).

Do you prefer whole bean or ground coffee? Whole bean. We have a grinder and depending on our mood, will drink it via stovetop espresso, or french press or good ol' drip. But ground coffee is ok too (in case you need to know I use a cone filter for my drip coffee).

This time of year, there are often Holiday Blends available, and many flavored coffees - do you drink flavored coffee? I've had flavored coffees before, but I'm not all that crazy about it. I drink my coffee black with a little drop of half and half on occasion. If I want a little flavor, I'll usually grab a little flavoured creamer (usually around the holidays, like that gingerbread flavoured creamer).


Do you enjoy special blends? Sure, I like blends as long as it has a bold, full-bodied taste

How do you take your coffee? Cream and Sugar? Straight up? Decaf? Straight up, some half and half or creamer once in awhile.

Do you prefer drinking from a nice thick mug, or a matched cup and saucer?
I prefer a nice thick mug. My favorite that I use at work every day is one gifted to me by a friend made by a local potter. I do however, have my little espresso cup and saucer set which I do use to sip espressos, so I guess I use both :)

Winter and Holidays - PLEASE be descriptive! Your pal will need this information to be sure to put together a package you will enjoy! What is your favorite part of Winter?
wearing knit sweaters and scarves (and socks!), snow, lots of baking, curling up with a good book, snuggling with your loved one on a cold night, gingerbread lattes, snowmen, seeing your breath outside on a crisp morning, a warm fireplace, holiday-scented candles.....

Do you celebrate a holiday in December, and if so, which holiday? Christmas

If you celebrate Christmas, do you put up a tree? Yes. We're really lacking space in our living room this year, so I may have to get a smaller one this year.

Would you enjoy items related to the holiday, or would you prefer a Winter themed package?
Either is fine with me, although as far as Christmas items are concerned, as long as they are not angels, nativity scenes, etc. I'm ok with it. I'd prefer Santas (of the world, or even the julenisses in Scandinavia), Rudolph, Frosty, wreaths, trees, xmas stockings, etc., that kinda of thing.

Do you collect anything? I have a kinda coffee-theme going on in my kitchen. My boyfriend and I collect mini skull decor (not real ones! hehe) and some Native American art for our living room. Our bedroom wall decor is mostly Japanese-themed, like with Ukiyo-e prints, etc. I guess I "collect" cookbooks and yarn too haha.

Are there any holiday or winter-themed items (Snowmen, Angels, Snoflakes, Santas, etc) that you collect? Our tree has a cat-dog theme. I like cats, my boyfriend likes dogs, so I thought having dog and cat ornaments would be fun. Each year I like to add a new cat and dog ornament to our collection. I also love snowmen!!!

Do you wear scarves? Mittens? Hats? Love wearing scarves. I don't think I've owned a pair of mittens... maybe I'll have to learn to knit them :) I like knit hats when it's snowing or really blustery outside.

What is your favorite holiday or winter treat? I look forward to having gingerbread lattes during the holiday season. Spiced cider and cocoa is also yummy. I love pumpkin pie this time of year. Any baked good that incorporates cinnamon is a plus in my book :) I love cookies and love to bake (although there are moments when I get stressed about it, but it's all good!)

Please share a favorite Winter or Holiday memory. When I was much much younger, every year on Xmas eve, mom would put those foam curlers in my and my sister's hair so that we'd be spiffied up Shirley Temple style for Christmas. She also always hand made us matching dresses to wear for Xmas too. I remember one year we had the prairie-girl looking Holly Hobbie dresses complete with aprons! I hated having to sleep with those damn curlers in my hair, because they pinched and pulled at my scalp all night. One Christmas, my sister and I awoke and ran out into the living room to find two shiny new bicycles, complete with fringe tassles on the handlebars by the tree! We were ecstatic and were jumping around and screaming and couldn't believe we got bicycles of our very own. My sister got a baby blue tricycle and I got a pink Huffy bike. Our folks got a picture of us still with curlers in our hair, jaws dropped open in surprise, looking at the shiny new bicycles awaiting us that Christmas. I always enjoy looking at the photo :)

Yarn and Crafting
Do you Knit or Crochet? For how long? Yes, I knit. I learned how to knit last New Year's Eve.

Do you like wooden, metal, or plastic needles\hooks? Circular or straight?
I like bamboo dpn's but also enjoy knitting with metal circs. I've been eyeing the Harmony wood needles from knitpicks and have added those to my wish list this year (hint hint Bear!)

What sort of projects do you enjoy making? Scarves, socks, I've yet to find something I don't like knitting :)

What are your favorite types of yarn to work with? I like soft, animal fibers. Wool/acrylic blends are ok as long as it's soft. SOFT is key here :)

Do you spin or dye? Not yet! A few gals in my knitting group are trying to lure me to the dark side and trying to get me to spin. Would love to learn someday. Dyeing yarn is also something I would love to try.

Do you do other crafts such as scrapbooking or needlepoint or anything else? Not really. I'm pretty much focused on the knitting right now.

General
When is your birthday? June 20

Do you have any children? (Furry kind count!) How about wet ones? hahaha I have two fish, and Bear's children from a previous marriage are now part of my family too, although I consider them more young adults than children, as the youngest is a senior in high school this year :)

What are your favorite colors? Dark blues, greens, purples, browns. Dark, earthy tones.

Do you have any allergies? No, not really.


*Phew!* That was one lengthy questionnaire! I definitely deserve a cuppa after that :)

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey. Don't you apologize. Unless you yourself are tired or stressed by the swaps, go ahead. Some knitters love them to death. I do, but only occasionally because I'm so disorganized.

Anonymous said...

I love the bicycle story! Fringe on the handlebars was the only way to go! I have never had a gingerbread latte, but I can see one in my near future. I promise to pretend not to notice if you sign up for another swap this year...I mean it's still only October!

hapagirl said...

I will resist, I will resist, I will resist...
You crack me up! The things we do when lured by the siren call of java. Hope it will be a good swap for you!