Just got back from my knotty knitters group tonight and I actually feel much better and not so stressed out (though my arm started to hurt during knitting today and I had to call it a night early).
I was just reading an article in a fashion magazine about how socializing really is good for your health. Now I generally hermitize for the most part and it really takes a lot of effort for me to get out of the house. I know, pretty sad. But it's the truth. So when I was reading this article, it kinda got me thinking. The article talks about how it can be a stress release to be able to talk with other ladies about whatever is on your mind, or you may just want to listen in on the conversations others are having and get something out of it that way. Either way, the interaction relieves stress and you leave feeling better. Well that's how it was for me tonight. As I've mentioned in my previous post, I've got a lot of things on my mind and knitting really hasn't been on the forefront in the past few weeks, nor anything else really for that matter. But I didn't go to knit night last week because I was stressed out and I didn't really feel up to knitting and didn't think I'd be good company to anyone. I'm still stressed out with the whole work thing, but tonight after getting back home, I have to say I do feel better. I didn't talk about work and didn't really talk much while there, but while doing a little knitting and listening to conversations going on around me, it really does refresh your mind and I do feel much better than when I first got there earlier this evening.
On the knitting front, I'm still working on the 2nd sock and I got a little more done until my arm started to hurt. I got to see some of the FOs that the other gals in my knitting group have already completed for the samples for A Swell Yarn Shop while she's down at the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival next weekend. Maybe I'll try to take some photos of the projects next week when our sample knits are due.
So as you can see, I feel a little better after having gone out and chatted with the gals from my knitting group. I'll just have to keep this in mind when I start to feel like I want to hermitize rather than going out somewhere, because it just may be the medicine I need to feel better. It's kinda ironic, because I'm certain I'm not the only person whose life gets out of whack and hectic and stressful that you tend to eliminate the meetups with friends and your social groups first because you feel you don't have the time to be having fun or simply don't feel up to it because you're feeling stressed, but it's that interaction that may be what you need to feel better, so you're better off keeping those "appointments" rather than cancelling them. So keep that in mind next time you're feelin the same - it might do ya some good as it did me :)
4 comments:
This was such a helpful post to read since I tend to so the same thing. I have trouble maintaining friendships when I'm stressed or tired. I find myself not scheduling things so I can basically attempt to relax and zone out at home, but it never works. I'm glad you got out and sometimes just sitting and listening is enough to shift a channel in your mind and lighten things up a bit.
As women, we tend not to socialize as much as we should. You are right and even though I know it, I need to be reminded. Have a great weekend.
you have to promise me to come even when your totally stressed out - so I'm not the only one =). Then we can just sit in the corner and b!@#ch. =)
I'm so glad that you joined our crazy group.
Well, I for one am glad that you push yourself out the door each week! It's great to have you as part of the group!!! :)
Post a Comment