October 27, 2009

Macarons!

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.


THE DARING COOKS OCTOBER 2009 CHALLENGE: MACAROONS

(actually, should be spelled macaron, as in French macarons, as that's what the challenge was this month for the Daring Bakers)


Macarons have intimidated me since the beginning of time, but I've always admired them from afar. The French Pastry Too Cute To Eat. Never even tasted one until this challenge either, as a matter of fact.
This was my first ever attempt at macaron-making, and although not successful in obtaining the classic appearance of macarons, the taste did not disappoint! The ingredients are basically almond flour, egg whites and sugar (both granulated and confectioners) for the macaron itself. The inside layer can be anything from ganache to buttercream to jam.

These little buggers are temperamental and you really need to follow directions and do a bit of research and prepwork to guarantee yourself the signature feet on the macaron, which mine failed to develop (for those who want to check out what "feet" on macarons should look like, this is a perfect example: it's the fluffed-out, poofed-out bottoms of these that mine failed to have).
I decided to flavor my macarons with instant espresso, so I added a tsp here and there to both the macaron itself and into the chocolate ganache I made to sandwich in between.

So here is my first presentation plate of espresso macarons with espresso chocolate ganache.
I was really bummed that my macarons did not develop feet (have I mentioned that already? lol), but getting past the fear of making these is my biggest DB accomplishment for this month's challenge. It was very interesting to read about other Daring Bakers' fails and successes and find out what worked for some and not for others. I really think a "practice makes perfect" mentality is necessary to achieve that perfect macaron, as well as trying various recipes to see which one works best for you. I heard many people had success using the macaron recipes from this purdy blog.



I had hopes of making a second batch before the reveal date, but things got a little hectic around here and I ran out of time. I'll definitely give these another shot again and will definitely post on my blog when I get them durned feet to appear!!!

7 comments:

Cindy said...

They look scrumptious even if they don't have "feet". You did not say if they were good or just passable;-P

Wic said...

I’m sure they taste divine

Audax said...

At least they tasted delicious and yes macarons are about practice practice and more practice. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Lauren said...

I think they look amazing! Love the sound of double espresso =D.

laura said...

They look so good and so rich. I love baking them and the best recipe and a guaranteed "foot" producer is this one in my opinion...I made up my own filling, but have made the macaron part without any issues...they seem to turn out perfectly each time.

http://www.alacuisine.org/alacuisine/2004/11/macarons_imbb_1.html

Knittymama said...

They look great, even without the feet. I've always coveted those pink, yellow, purple macaroons...I always have dreams of making them for Easter.

Anonymous said...

Even without the feet I bet they tasted amazing!!