August 16, 2009

Serious Pie for Bear

Today is Bear's birthday (Happy Birthday hon!). He wanted to go fishing in the morning, so I picked up around the house and did some last-minute gift wrapping. I told him to be back home in the afternoon, as I had plans to take him to dinner. He didn't know where, as I wanted to keep it a surprise.

So where did I take him? It's pretty serious. Serious Pie, that is.
It's a pizza joint owned by the famed Tom Douglas, a local chef and restaurateur (he also owns the Dahlia Lounge and bakery, Palace Kitchen and Etta's, all well known and established restaurants in Seattle). A few weeks ago, I was watching a show on the Food Network about favorite pizza places of Food Network stars. Tyler Florence mentioned a place in Seattle called Serious Pie and his description of his favorite chanterelle mushroom and truffle cheese pizza had me intrigued. I decided this was a great place to take Bear out for his birthday, as it was a casual restaurant serving artisanal pizzas.
The picture above is the famed chanterelle mushroom and truffle cheese pizza. It was simple, but very delicious. Their crust was amazing - thin with big bubbles that crunched with every bite. I now understand what Tyler was talking about!
This one above is of Bear's pizza (note that I had the patience to take a photo of my pizza before I dug in.... I can't say the same for Bear, lol). He ordered the house salumi, walla walla onion and cacia cavallo (an aged cow's milk cheese).
We swapped a slice so that we can try each other's pizzas too.
We took some slices home, so that we still had room for dessert. I initially wanted to stop at the Dahlia bakery to pick up the famed Tom Douglas coconut cream pie, but Bear said he wanted to have dessert at the restaurant, so he had an espresso and amaretti cookie (freshly baked and still warm from the oven). I had the cannoli with ricotta and fresh huckleberries - YUM!

All in all a great dinner and I recommend a visit to Serious Pie - I look forward to stopping by again and trying some of the other pizza varieties they offer.

Hope you enjoyed your birthday my love!

eta: sheesh, how many times did I use the word 'famed'? lol :)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You used "famed" as emphasis;-P Happy belated birthday, Bear!!! Sounds like a fab birthday dinner.

laura said...

That pizza looks so good and I love their logo!

Happy belated birthday to Bear!