July 22, 2009

Whiskas!

It's time for Whiskers on Wednesday. This week I'm going to share my experience w/ transitioning my kitty to wet food.

It appears Frank was given an all dry food diet in the past as he loves the stuff, but I really want him to have at least half of his meals from wet food. It's been a stressful 2 months as far as getting him to transition to what I feel are better foods for him, but I had a breakthrough this week, as for the first time since attempting to give him wet food, I successfully had a view of an empty bowl! :)
This may not be exciting for some, but if any of you have tried to get their cats to transition to a different type of food, it's not an easy feat! I tried bonito flakes, crushed kibble on top of canned food, etc. etc., but he only liked to lick the gravy/liquid and leave all the nice meaty bits..on top of that, he didn't seem to like the texture of the pate canned food, so I tried to give all kinds to find a texture he liked. But for whatever reason, he came around and ate the pate food that he had once rejected! So just wanted to share my experience w/ others out there to not give up if you're trying to add some wet food to your cat's diet. It took my cat 2 months to come around and eat something other than his kibble!

9 comments:

Cindy said...

He has is own placemat. Spoiled???

Monica said...

Congrats! My cat is spoiled on wet food... we tried to transition him off it after kittenhood, but my mom kept giving it to him. Now he has wet food in the morning and evening, and dry food allllll day. He has an endless buffet!

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

My cat has learned to go to the basement door....start scratching (because this will illicit me jumping up to avoid door damage)....once I am at the designated spot...Bella will look at me all prim and proper, and stare a hole through me till I ask if she wants her "yum yums"....then she runs to her bowl and waits on me to server her.

She has me trained very well! And to think...I wanted her to eat can food too!! LOL!!

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Congratulations! I've tried switching my cats' food, but it hasn't worked too well. Charlie always LOVES new food...but she has a sensitive stomach so it doesn't always work out :(

Frank looks so cute in his box :)

Bubblesknits said...

Our cats are still protesting their diet. They've now started trying to steal *our* food. The kids think it's great, especially when Stevie steals their veggies. lol

yoel said...

What? I've been trying to get my cat stop waking me up a hideous hour begging for soft food. Is hard food bad? Camembert does eat a lot of cheese too, which is sort of soft.

Carrie Penny said...

If it smells like food our cats will eat it! It doesn't seem to matter wet or dry, though Eddie did get really confused the first time we gave him wet food...

Saren Johnson said...

We give the pride good food on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights, the rest of the time, it's dry kibble. And they know which day of the week it is, if they feel we're not feeding them in a timely manner we hear about it.

Anita said...

I've tried so many times to get Jasmine to eat wet food with no luck. I suppose I should be more persistent. :)