July 9, 2009

Afternoon tea

On a whim, I took the afternoon off work yesterday and whisked my mom away to enjoy some afternoon tea. The tea shop is located near my mom's house in a Victorian mansion from the 1890s. I love this bay window area of what probably was the formal living room, now converted into one of the rooms to enjoy tea.

Here's mom enjoying her tea - white ambrosia, which was a white tea infused with coconut, vanilla and mango. I went for my usual tea of choice - darjeeling.
This was pretty much a late lunch (or I should say linner?), as we enjoyed the hot tea, fresh from the oven savories, scones with Devonshire cream and the staple dainty cucumber sandwiches (why do simple sandwiches taste so good?)

I love how everything is placed on each tier: sandwiches on the bottom, warm savories in the middle tier with fresh fruit, and dessert on the very top.

I'd go there every week if I could, but it's not a cheap meal, for certain, but oh so worth the splurge when you need a little pick me up!

7 comments:

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Sounds like fun, and such a beautiful place! I just love cucumber sandwiches :)

Bubblesknits said...

Oh my. That looks like Heaven! Think they'd consider expanding and open another tea room in Birmingham? :-)

Knittymama said...

I"m so glad you shared this. I'd forgotten that I wanted to do the same with my mom and Gram. Looks like fun!

laura said...

I'd love to spend and afternoon having tea with you in a place like that!

I often make simple and tiny sandwiches and even cut the crusts off...I like cucumber and cream cheese the best, but even egg salad seems elegant when served that way.

Saren Johnson said...

Afternoon tea looked wonderful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Yum! It looks gorgeous! Please come whisk me away for tea! Good daughter!!! :)