January 7, 2009

There are no limits (for a baker)

We're experiencing some major rainfall around here after all the snow, and now the PacNW is undergoing some really bad flooding. Even my parents (who live on higher elevation) are having to get sandbags because of poor drainage near the side of the house. The rain is not letting up and it's looking pretty dismal for some places. I'm hoping this wet weather will let up very soon, because it's starting to stress me out.

So to keep my mind occupied, I'm going talk about fun stuff, like knitting and baking. Bear's off on a business trip, so I'm keeping busy so that I don't feel so lonely at home. Anyway, I was watching Ina Garden (aka The Barefoot Contessa) on tv this past weekend and saw her making a pear clafouti. I had pears from my CSA share last week and thought it was a perfect time to give this recipe a shot, as I had not made (nor eaten) a clafouti before. It's a French custardy dessert that's very light and well, custardy. Ina's recipe called for some pear brandy. Usually, I'll try to substitute something else (or omit it entirely) when a recipe calls for some kind of obscure alcohol/liqueur that I don't normally keep at home, but I was curious about this pear brandy (and having a bad day at work the other day, I was ready to relax with a stiff drink or two). I was warned by previous reviews that pear brandy was pricey (particularly the brand Ina recommended, which was a French pear brandy), but in keeping with my "local food" views, I found a distillery in Oregon that made pear brandy. So I bought this $39 (yikes!) bottle of pear brandy, only to use 2 tablespoons in a recipe. Crazy, ridiculous price, but I was intrigued. Oh, the extent a baker will go to ensure her baked goods turn out well, hehehe.

It's weird how I come to justify certain expenses sometimes :)
Well, I think the brandy and lemon zest added a nice touch to the custard dessert and enhanced the taste of the pears.
I love how it puffs up with the pears rising to the top. It's rustic yet elegant.
I sprinkled a little confectioner's sugar on top and dug in. Heavenly, like eating a fluffy pear cloud.
So, while I type away, enjoying a sip of pear brandy (well, I have to use up the rest of it, don't I?), I also have some WIPs and FOs to share.
Here's one I couldn't get done for the holidays (it was for Bear's daughter), so now it'll be for her birthday which is in March. I started the Koolhaas hat. It's taking a bit of time because I'm using a cable needle, but I hear it goes relatively quick if you knit the pattern without having to use one. I'm still a newb with cables, so it's ok if I'm going slow.

I found a photo of a holiday FO that I had not shared here yet. I knit Fetching for my friend L. This was a fun knit once I figured out the cabling. This was my first cable project ever. I loved knitting with that cashmerino - pretty soft stuff.
And last but not least, after knitting Fetching, I wanted some fingerless mitts of my own and have now CO for a pair of Leafy Mitts. I love the colour of this yarn and can't wait to finish this. Here's what the mitts will look like (hopefully) when done.
Well, that's about it folks. While Bear's away, I've added a few movies to my queue (girlie ones he would be bored with), so time to get caught up with some girliness. Hope I didn't ramble on too much :)

5 comments:

Cindy said...

No. You didn't ramble at all. I love the mitts and pear clafouti? I have never had it. Sounds divine and just what you needed to take the edge off of a crappy work time. I loved that you shared it with us!!!

Carrie Penny said...

Pear brandy eh... hum, sounds like something I would love in a peartini Carrie style. The clafouti sounds tasty, but the brandy sounds great!

Your mittens are very pretty. When I was learning how to knit on DPSs (before I tried circular needles for the record) I tried both of those patterns. My Leafy Mitts were horrible I never wear them they were too big and the leaf left too much room and the stitches were LOOPY all over! My Fetching were much better! I still wear those all the time. They are great quick patterns once you know what you are doing!

knitalittle said...

Okay now I'm now I want to bake something and cast on for a pair of mittens. Good thing it is getting cooler here and I need to warm up the house and my hands. I can almost smell the yummy smells.

Saren Johnson said...

Those leaf mitts are too cute! I'll show them to the Eldest and work her to make a pattern.

Pear brandy isn't too pricy. Grilltech is talking about making a gallon (!) of beer which would run about 350.00.

Anonymous said...

I love that you bought the brandy..sometimes you just have to do it and good for you for going local.

I wonder how pear brandy would taste in coffee?

I wondered about you when we heard about the flooding-I hope you can your parents can stay dry.

Emjoy the alone time!