This is dangerous territory for me to step in, as there's a bookstore in the same building full of Japanese books and magazines. The Japanese love their crafts of all kinds and their books are so inspiring with beautiful photographs. I knew I was going to buy some craft books, but just wasn't sure what was going to catch my eye. Well I ended up walking out with these:
If you love matcha, you'll love this, but even for a matcha-lover as myself, I think the matcha was just a bit too overpowering in the custard creme filling. It was still delicious though! I would love to try their pumpking filling next time.
So while waiting for my triple tall nonfat latte to be made by the barista, I also took home a Macrina favorite: the Morning Glory muffin, which is a really moist muffin filled with carrots, raisins, pineapple and coconut. I usually stay clear of things that contain raisins, pineapple and coconut together (mostly because I've had a few carrot cakes that incorporate all of these that were just way too sweet), but I've heard so many good things about these muffins that I had to try it. I'm so glad I did!
This muffin rocked the moistness! It's in the cookbook and I will totally be making these at home.
I also took home a raisin brioche. Brioche is a very rich, buttery bread. It's pretty fun to make too. I was intrigued by their Nutella brioche, but decided on the raisin one instead. They sprinkle a light layer of turbinado or demerrara sugar on top, so you get that wonderfully light crunch with every bite.
I also took a boule of their Macrina Casera which is their house bread. It's leavened with a natural wild starter made from organic grapes and whole wheat flour. I hope to enjoy this with a pasta dinner tonight.
If the photos above haven't made you feel like you just gained 20 pounds, let's lighten it up with some calorie-free versions, shall we?
And these macarons? Almost look like the real thing, don't they?
I'm so inspired to make pastries and breads (both real and felted) from my little excursion this morning. So this is what has inspired me - what's inspiring all of you? Please share!
5 comments:
I want to make fake food... I have my mom on a diet for her health and she didn't know where to start, so that would be the perfect gift to send to her!
Triple non-fat latte? After all those goodies????? That cracked me up. Can't wait to see what you decide to make (fake food-wise).
The macarons are so darling! What a great book!
I think I gained a few pounds looking at them. It all looks so wonderful. Now I need to make bread this weekend.
Oh my God! The wool pastries look so cute! I mean it when I say the craft books out of Japan are the best...and the cute fabric too.
I usually stay away from the coconut/raisin/pineapple combo too, but would have tried a muffin.
Post a Comment