November 6, 2008

Local local locavore!

As mentioned in a previous post this summer, Bear and I are determined to cook foods at home using local foods as much as possible.

We're lucky to live close to a farm that has CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) shares not only for the summer/fall, but winter too. I wasn't able to sign up for the summer share, so I looked forward to getting fresh, local veggies during the winter months.

Yesterday was the first share for the winter season.
We had squash, potatoes, lettuce, broccoli, kale and green peppers for starters.
I got to meet farmer Mike yesterday and introduce myself. I mean, how cool is it to know the people who actually grow the vegetables you eat and know exactly where they came from? You really feel a connection to the food and remember that they don't just come from a grocery store.

I also thought by having local veggies to enjoy during this season, I can also pledge to eat local for Thanksgiving, so I signed the pledge. If you're in the Puget Sound area, you can do it too!


If things go well, we'll have a local turkey to enjoy for Thanksgiving too.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

And, you'll have tastier and better for you food, too! Good for you. Have a wonderful weekend.

Saren Johnson said...

That sounds like a great idea. And a fresh turkey, those are even better!

Unknown said...

I am finally getting in the mood for this whole holiday thing. Shopping locally added a fun new challenge to menu planning. Thank you once again. =)

Knittymama said...

Yum!! Our last delivery is in late December. Isn't it great to still get boxes this time of year??