I was excited to get my spice order today in the mail. I luuuuuurve spices. Love it.

I know, spices are not local, but I don't get to order from Penzeys too much, so it was a treat for me. And I don't know if one can go 100% local on spices, can you? If so, kudos to you. I know I can't be a pure locavore because I'm a coffee drinker and I can't (or should say won't) give up my coffee. I will be more responsible with my coffee purchases however, and get organic and fair trade to balance it out.

But back to spices. I splurged and bought vanilla beans for the first time ever. I'm one of them weirdos who gets excited when it comes to using something new for baking and that's just what these vanilla beans did to me. I wonder what I should make with it? It'll have to be something special, that's for certain.
Any suggestions?
Upon receiving this package today and thinking about this blog post, I wondered what spice I could not live without. I brought it down to two; one for savory dishes and one for sweets. I love fresh ground pepper in just about everything. So for savory, I gotta have my pepper. And for sweet, I think I'm gonna have to say cinnamon. There's just nothing like the smell of something cinnamon-ey baking in the oven to set me off. It's such a warm, comforting smell.
So what spice can't you live without?
5 comments:
Personally I'm in love with rosemary. I adore the way it smells. I have some growning in pots on my deck and every time I walk past them a 'pet' them so that my hands smell like rosemary all day. I'm also big on cooking with basil.
I would have to say cumin, and cilantro for an herb. Mmmmmm. I love those two. Especially together. Although I do have to second your mention on cinnamon.
Ooooh, I love Penzey's granulated garlic. I love pepper, as well, but the garlic is the thing I use most. I also love cinnamon, but real vanilla is the spice I cannot do without. It makes chocolate more chocolatey and vanilla what it is. Your spices look wonderful.
I'm a garlic/onion person. Vanilla is my sweet.
For me, it's cloves and pepper. You can use vanilla beans to make vanilla sugar...just split the beans and bury in a jar of sugar...stir once in awhile and the whole jar will be infused with a light vanilla flavor...sometimes the sugar around the bean can get a little brownish yellow, but just mix it in. Then you can make cinnamon rolls with it!
Hey, we have a Penzey's!
Post a Comment