December 29, 2011

2011 Reflections and To-Dos for 2012

Man, how time flies! Just when I finally remember to write 2011, it gets switched up on me (except for one Christmas card I did manage to write this year, which wished the card recipients a "great 2013", LOL - guess I've got their card covered through next year too).

It's time to reflect on my to-do list that I made for myself last year and see how well (or crappy) I did. So let's get to it, shall we?

1.Get more exercise
This was going well until my foot started giving me problems while I was going to *umba and I had to go see the doctor. I went to physical therapy for a few months, and felt it was doing my foot good, but we hit a plateau and I was put on hold. Work then went bonkers and I haven’t been able to get a follow up appointment in this year, so that’s one of the things I really need to do at the beginning of next year. So sadly, no exercise means I’ve gained back what I had lost. I’m going to keep it simple for next year’s to-do list and say that I want to get my foot well enough so that I can at least take longer walks.

2. learn to knit socks using ML method
I can FINALLY check this off my list, w00t woot! Not only did I learn ML, I learned to knit two socks toe up at the same time to boot! As far as my knitting goal next year, my goal is to knit (and finish) my first sweater or cardigan. I'm hoping to start it sometime in the spring so that I can enjoy it when the colder weather comes back around next year. Another knitting goal of mine is to knit Bear his first pair of socks from me. It was meant as a Christmas gift this year, but I got too bogged down and his got put on the back burner (again). Bad girlfriend! He deserves a pair of socks and damnit, he’s gonna get one in 2012. :)

3. add something new to my baking repertoire
I didn’t do much baking this year. I used to take baked goodies to work when I was in the mood to make something, but the workplace is not a place of fun, just a place I have to go so that I can pay the bills. I think I mostly only baked for birthdays this year and for Thanksgiving and Christmas. No goals in baking for next year. Just gonna keep it simple and just bake when the mood strikes – perhaps I'll make an attempt at making some traditional Japanese sweets or something. Whatever it may be, you'll certainly hear about it here :)

4. organize my crafts/limit yarn purchases
I managed to get my yarn stash somewhat organized by taking photos of everything in my stash, uploading it on Ravelry and organizing them into different bins to get to them with ease. Bear knows how much I have now too, so he’s quick to chime in with a reminder of how much yarn I have when he sees me fawning over a skein of yarn on my laptop :) I’m really hoping to knit more out of my stash next year by making it easier to access certain yarns (which I've accomplished last month) and queueing up patterns with specific yarns in my stash for a self-imposed sock/knit club of sorts. I’m not going to say I won’t buy any yarn at all in 2012 because that’s being unrealistic – I know a skein or two will sneak into the home at some point. But I am really going to try to limit what I buy and find inspiration in my stash for my knitting. Let's see how long I can go in the new year before I buy new yarn (you all can start your bets now, LOL).

5. curb my impulse shopping/reduce debt
I think I’ve managed to chip slowly away at debt and am seeing progress, but could still use some more restraint in the impulse shopping (particularly with yarn purchases). I fell off the wagon once using the credit card for a yarn purchase, but that was it. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Still a big work in progress.

6. sew a bag/home décor project.
I was hoping to get at least one sewing project done, but not one sewing project was started or completed this year. My poor sewing machine sat neglected in the bedroom. I’m hoping to change that next year, as Bear and I are throwing some crafty entrepreneurial ideas about. We’ll see if we can make something happen and put that machine to work. I still want to try to renew my plans from last year to at least attempt a sewing project once every 3 months or so. I really want to feel more comfortable using the machine and feel more confident tackling some sewing projects.

7. eat healthy
With the weekly delivery of our organic produce box, we’re still eating well for the most part (until Thanksgiving and Christmas came around - ugh, I'm still recovering). Bear and I are on a tighter budget these days, however we don’t skimp on the quality of foods we eat and we’re loving the veggies and fruit in our box (although I am a bit tired of apples and pears right now). Bear has been an awesome cook on those days I have had to work late. The other night he made this amazing curried celeriac soup. He’s getting to become quite the soup maker and we’re both reaping the benefits from that :) We’re willing to try more varieties of veggies that were once unknown in our veggie universe, so we’re definitely expanding our palettes by trying produce that is new to us and exploring new recipes to incorporate them in. Will continue to do the same in the coming year.

8. support more local business
I had a bad experience recently with one of the LYS I tried to support (I say "tried" because I find that most of my yarny purchases are online), so I sadly no longer go there. Thankfully, I have 2 more LYS not too far from my home and work, so I have other places to go for a quick yarn/knit accessory fix (but then again, these purchases will be somewhat miniscule, as I'm trying to tame my stash, as you know). The local café where I held my crane folding event and where my knitting group used to meet up unfortunately closed down in August, so that was a huge bummer. A new local coffee joint opened up not too far from home just about a week ago, so Bear and I are super excited about supporting this business and help spread the word. We still frequent some chain stores of course, but are definitely more mindful and try to go to small, locally owned shops (especially if we treat ourselves out for a meal). Will continue to do the same in the following year, as it is scary how many locally owned businesses have closed in the past year in the area we live.

I guess that's about it! Wish me luck! What are your goals (fibery or otherwise) for the next year?

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You have done remarkably well. The world is a tough place these days, so anything you do to help yourself is a good thing. You will do great next year, too. Happy New Year, kiddle!!

Saren Johnson said...

I know what you mean about the locals verses chains. We're doing our best do support local shops only.