Did you know that tomorrow is Bike to Work day? Despite the Seattle area being known for its wet weather, there are actually quite a few cyclists who commute to work around here. This is the time of year local bicycle clubs encourage cyclists to come out of hiding so that they can accounted for as one of many cyclists who commute to work and make their presence known to local government and lawmakers to encourage communities to be more bike-friendly. Last year they accounted for 19,000 cyclists on Bike to Work day. They want to meet their goal of over 20,000 cyclists this year. Well they can add 2 more bike commuters towards their goal, as Bear and I have been commuting via bike since we moved to our new condo. With the warmer months coming upon us, I hope to be able to bike in to work 5 days a week.
For additional incentive, Bear and I also joined the Bike to Work challenge for the month of May. We keep track of the miles we’ve ridden to work during the month of May and those that are really taking this contest seriously have racked in major mileage. The website shows how much gas we’ve saved ($20.46), as well as calories burned (1233 calories!!). So far we’ve managed to ride a combined 36.4 miles just from our commute to work – not bad for beginner bike commuters, eh?
I’ve managed to recruit a few more people at work to get off their butts and cycle in tomorrow, so if you have a bike, hop on and pedal in to work instead of taking your car – Mother Nature will thank you, your body will thank you, and your wallet should thank you too (saving gas, ya know).
P.S. I won’t be wearing any spandex anytime soon – I don’t care how good of an arse I'd get as a cyclist, hehehe
1 comment:
I am afraid I will have to bow out on the bike to work day. I have a 35 mile one-way drive, so biking is not an option. It's all highway, too. Missouri is just beginning to get better and we have a huge road race in September (world class!). Good for you and Bear. I so wish I could ride my bike to work. Oh, and spandex? No way in the world for me either;-)
Post a Comment