On our third day in Japan, the juice company made arrangements with the Hato Bus company for their full day
“Dynamic Tokyo” tour.
We lucked out weather-wise, as this day was the nicest day so far this year, from what we were told. I was grateful that the weather in Tokyo welcomed our visit, especially since our first stop was
Tokyo tower.
Here's a view of the tower from the Sumida river.
Upon going up to the main observatory deck (which is not all the way to the top, because we couldn't go up there with the number of people in our tour group, but it's still high enough), we got a panoramic view of the city.
With a city that inhabits over 12 million people (!!!), this city goes on..
and on...
and on.
It's really amazing to see how big this city really is. You truly feel like you're just a speck of dust on this earth.
Now this picture below, is a portion of the floor in the main observatory deck looking down. Definitely gives you a different perspective of how "up there" you are. Even if I was certain that it was structurally-sound, I couldn't get myself to stand on it. Even taking this photo virtually gave me vertigo, heheh.
Our next stop was at
Happo-en (click on English at the top of this site's page for more info), to take part in a tea ceremony and then take a walk through the beautiful grounds of this little sanctuary in the middle of a huge city.
After enjoying our delicious green tea and some Japanese sweets, we were let loose to explore the grounds on own own.
The garden here was breathtakingly beautiful and I went crazy taking photos to remember how tranquil and refreshed this place made me feel.
One of my fave photos below:
And another personal favorite:
They had many bonsai trees hundreds of years old. I think this one was around 600 years old.
They had huuuuuuge koi in the pond. Huge enough to look scary at times, hehe.
This creamy golden coloured koi was my favorite. He kinda poked out his head to greet us, or wanted food, probably the latter.
And this one seemed to be striking a pose just for the camera:

After we enjoyed the gardens at Happo-en, it was time to enjoy lunch at
Chinzan-so . As we walked towards the restaurant, we got to enjoy the scenery around this area too.
Lunch consisted of grilled pork and beef with various veggies on a cooktop that was lava rock that came from
Mt. Fuji .
After lunch, we strolled the grounds some more.
They had stone carvings of monkeys.
and stone carvings of buddhas with tilted heads. He looks content and happy nestled amongst the spring flowers, doesn't he?
Now at this point of the day, due to people in the tour group not returning at the scheduled time that the tour guide gave to us, we were running out of time in order to make the river cruise scheduled later that afternoon. The tour guide has a deadline to meet, so the area around the Imperial Palace was shortened
a bit.
The moat goes around the entire perimeter of the palace. I wished we were in Japan a week or two earlier, as we just missed the full bloom of the cherry blossoms. The area of the palace grounds that the public can access would have been beautiful to walk around, surrounded in blushing pink and the soft fragrance of the cherry blossoms.
I liked this photo of one of the guard towers of the Palace, with the cranes building more high rises in the background. The past is preserved, but the future is moving fast forward. You get old and new smooshed together in Tokyo.
Our tour guide got us to our next stop in time after shaving off minutes from the Palace. We were now off to view Tokyo from the water with the
Sumida river cruise .
It's great to see the city from a different angle, such as from the water.
I didn't realize how many little canals there are in Tokyo - it made me think of the canals in Amsterdam.
This photo below is of the Asahi beer building, which appropriately looks like a tall, foamy mug of beer. To the right of that building was supposed to be this golden flame rising above, but due to its construction or structural-engineering-whathaveyou, with concerns of damage in an earthquake-prone country, it laid flat instead and is now affectionately referred to as 'the golden poop.'
And our last stop of the day:
Sensoji temple and nakamise-dori
The river cruise dropped us off in Asakusa, where
Sensoji temple is located within walking distance. This was one place I was looking forward to, as it was a place I never did get around to visiting when I lived in Japan.
At the beginning of the entrance to Sensoji temple is a narrow pedestrian walkway called
Nakamise-dori, which is lined with little shops carrying souvenirs of every kind.
parts of the temple grounds
The famous red lantern at Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate):
3 comments:
Well, I was wondering if we'd every get to day 3! ;)
What a fun filled packed day. You are a great tour guide! Makes me want to get on a plane and fly over there right now!
What wonderful memories you made on your trip. Thanks so much for sharing them. I'm enjoying the ride;)
This post was a feast! I was totally pulled into the gardens! Wow, I can see why that photo is your favorite. It feels peaceful just looking at it. I have to say that unless there is an emergency, I have very little patience for people on tours returning late...things happen, but I've also seen a blatant disregard for other people too.
The incense experience is amazing...I want to go! It's like smudging with sage in the Native American tradition...full body smudging. I love that almost all cultures use incense and most as part of a spiritual practice. I love it when our house is lightly scented.
This trip is just such a good way for your readers to get to know you and all the ways that you enjoy yourself...It's nice that Bear noticed the painting above you.
Now we will just wait for the next post!
Ha! "affectionately"called the golden poop....:)
Post a Comment